1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

80's Retro Distortion/Overdrive Effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AKJ, Jan 9, 2012.

1. AKJ

AKJ

Jun 30, 2011
    Hey guys. I've been playing bass for about 15 years now, but to be honest I've always tried to keep it super simple effects-wise. I count myself in the Carlos D school of bass in terms of less is sometimes more (for my playing style anyways)...

I use a compressor/sustainer and an eq and that's it, which means knowledge of other effects pedals is pretty limited. I'm interested in playing around with some 80's style overdrive but haven't been able to find a pedal that can give me the sound I want. Here's an example of what I'm kinda looking for:

TWIN SHADOW - SLOW - YouTube

If anyone can suggest a pedal or combination of effects that could help my get something like this sound, I would really appreciate it. I play a Fender Jazz with an Ampeg SVT4 Pro. Thx!

2. enmacrae

enmacrae

Jan 22, 2012

That 'Slow' tone is my go-to sound. Pretty much P-Bass (J-Bass works too - fully open tone and pups) into a bass big muff pi blending in the fuzz signal to about 45% into a Sansamp bass driver DI mixed with a little more soft OD and EQ then I throw on a bit of CE-2. A vintage SVT or Musicman HD130 would be the ideal end game.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not to discount the route above me, but I believe you could probably achieve that tone with a VT Bass running into a little bit of chorus.

Edit:
    I think some flats on J might help as well, and to play with a pick to get the attack.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  4. That video sounds like a RAT to me.

5. The sound in that video was about my sound in the early 90's lol
    What i used back then was mainly guitarpedals, because that's all i could find at the time. And i played with a jazz bass through different amps(ampeg, hartke, peavey, trace-elliot)but it always sounded about the same. Lots of mids and less bass and treble.
    Pedals then was Boss sd-1 or Ibanez mt-10(mosfet distortion!).
    So pretty far from any tubesound but it sure did the trick!
    Oh and some chorus to it sure helps too.