1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

810 cab for guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigmuff113, Oct 20, 2013.

1. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    Has anyone used an 810 bass cab like ampeg or Hartke or acoustic on guitar? I want to get an810 and a 100w Marshall head and just use it as my everything rig.

2. It will make sound. Dont know if it will sound good to you.

3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Sounds like a pretty badass stoner/doom rig to me...

4. I used a Laney AOR 50 with a Ampeg 810 for a longtime. The Top half of the 810 loaded with Jensen Mod 50's. Wish I still had the setup. I felt it was perfect at the time.

5. You'd be better off with something that has a mid speaker and a tweeter if you're going to use it for a guitar, if not you'll just sound bad.

6. TalHaz

TalHaz Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Spring, TX
    MTD, Trickfish
    Bad idea

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Overdriven guitar + tweeter = yuck. You'd be better off with something that rolled off by 6khz or so with a paper cone.*

* -- I can only assume someone considering an 810 for guitar won't be playing clean all the time.

The 810SVT with 2 or 4 Mod50's loaded in the top would make a good doubler.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Was thinking the same thing...

- georgestrings

9. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    iir, Josh Homme used ampeg 810's w/ Kyuss.

10. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    I don't want a tweeter, so I'll probably turn it off or disconnect it if it has one

11. Perish the thought of a Fridge with a guitar going through it. Your bass player will go insane trying to keep a good mix.

12. My flatback SVT cab sounds great with guitar. A little inefficient, but get a loud enough head and it's a killer guitar rig. That is, of course, with the original speakers. I've tried guitar through an Eminence loaded Dually and it sounded like doodoo, though I've tried guitar through old Sunn 2x15 and it sounded great. Just depends on the speakers. Old speakers usually work out well since some/most were "all purpose"

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While it's definite overkill for anything except stoner/doom or arena rock bands, it sounds pretty darn good to run guitar through my 810's, although I find the volume too offensive to turn a guitar amp up to its sweet spot.

14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Pretty sure Keith Richards & Mick Taylor played through Ampeg SVT 8x10s during early 1970s Rolling Stones gigs. I used to have a poster of the Stones on my wall when I was a teenager, and the backline was this unending sea of SVT cabs!

edit: Something like these (though admittedly these cabs look shorter than SVTs)
    rolling-stones20a.

15. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    There are 4X10 guitar cabinets (admittedly not that common), so wouldn't an 8X10 just be like a full stack of that?

Of course whether it sounded good would probably be down to the cab/amp combo.

16. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    So maybe run like a 15 watt head or something? For gigs?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, that would sound quite good IMHO and would still be decently loud when needed.

18. Why on earth would you go to the trouble of schlepping an 8x10 cabinet just to run a 15W amp through it?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wasn't going to bring that up ;) but it does beg that question.

20. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    Hey, if it sounds good, why not? I'll probably end up with like a 50 watt Marshall though.