Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9 and Zen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    say...

i uploaded some live tracks form one of our 9 and Zen shows recently...

www.myspace.com/9andZen

i am posting beacuse i am curious about purchasing the Edirol / Roland / BOSS

R-1

for the recordings you hear on our myspace page...

we used a sony minidisc recorder and a pair of condensor mics...

what i am wondering is if we would get better or equal quality by using the compact R-1 with built in mics etc...

(http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=744&ParentId=114)

vs using the mini disc we already use?

if anyone has the edirol and has some experience with it and is also willing to hear our tracks...

please chime in if you like!

;)

thank you

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Man... small world, I'm listening to "Brownish" as I type. I downloaded them the other day in response to your "Bulletin" on myspace.

Killer jams! People thinkin' a 9 string bass ain't bass need to listen to you groove some Greg!

You might want to pick up a couple more mics and a small mixer. run the "premixed" output stereo to the mini disc recorder.

Are you doing any post processing? You can make it "less far away" sounding with a little eq, mastering compression and such.

3. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Jeremy took the mini disc and put straight to CD...

i put it in music match made it a wav file... and then put it in ez editor from fruity loops and normalized each side right and left seperately...

then i faded the beginnings and endings

i WISH i could find a SIMPLE wav editior with eq and compression...

LOL, are you talking about the free 9 string bulletin?

:bag:

and man, james! thank youvery much for the compliments!!!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I'll tell you Greg... listening to your tracks, I'm thinking I might need to quick change my 7 string order to an 8... those lows you dump in "Opening Jam" are the bomb!

and yeah, Free 9 String..... tunes. You're a comedian :p

I use and like the Cakewalk / Sonar software line.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/default.asp
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Software?sku=706731

$100 for the basic one. I started with their old "Guitar Tracks" title which is about a 4 year old version of the current "HomeStudio"

5. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    speaking of lows...

LOL

right this second i am speaking with digitech tech support online...

as a digitech endorsee i was just able to snag a B-stock discontinued bnx3

i am going to dedicate an effects unit to just my AccuGroove sub...

at the show you have heard tracks from...

i had a wild idea!

I just received a "B-stocK" bnx3

it is going to be dedicated to ONLY my sub in my bass rig at this time...

in a global sort of way within the pedal I wish to have the expression pedal control the crossover point fo EVERY patch...

the expression pedal should do two things at once at all times for me...

in the all the way back / toe up / off position the volume should be at a set percentage lets say 63%.

in the all the way back / toe up / off position the crossover should be at a set at BIAMP 500

then as I increase the volume... I want the crossover point to drop!

so incrementaly as I sweep the expression pedal forward / toe down / on...

the crossover drops while the volume increases so that:

in the all the way forward / toe down / on position the volume should be at a full 100%

in the all the way forward / toe down / on position the crossover should be at a set at BIAMP 80

at the gig i tried instead of blistering speedy notes on my bass not that i get there but i like to dream...

i started removing notes, making them longer and turning around and increasing the volume of my SUB

as my solo...

or should i say

SO_LOW

HA!!!

i am hoping to hear back from tech support fast as i want to try this right now!

and sorry...

i have gone WAY off topic!

;)

i also decided to try C# since i keep soling in the guitarists space...

hearing the recordings made want to go lower rather than being so much in the guitarists space...

however... playing with Stew McKinsey in "DEPTH" i will probably opt to stay higher so he can go lower...

if i can incorporate the C# i may need to ask BEE for another set of specs on another bass! LOL

6. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    so yes...

quick call and change your bass to an 8...

and as long as your thinking in that direction you may as well order a 9...

otherwise you will wish you had after it will bee too late

and james? you would look so good playing a the GBC body shape! ;)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Being a midnight shift worker and just having woke up... I had to read that twice... :eek: I thought you were hitting on me ;)

I actually contemplated it... it's a cool look. I want to go with the "Fred original" shape though..... the Worker Bee. If he made a bolt neck thunder bee... I'd be all on that.