1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Bass for Christmas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DevonteRhys2003, Dec 6, 2018.

1. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Hello guys,

Hopign you can help. I'm looking for a bass for christmas. I've played guitar and stuff and know how to play some bits. Me and my mates want to start a band next year. I've got a amp from my cousin. been to a couple of shops but can't make my mind up and don'tr really know what people mean when describing 'feel'.

I like the stone roses anmd (early) arctic monkeys. Any help would be great. Thanks

Devo

Ellery and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    A bargain bass, an intermediate priced bass, or something expensive?

3. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Hi jd56hawk

Thanks for replying. I think something i can get good with. Not too expensive. I'm in the UK so 400/500 is good money here. You can get basic epiphones for under 200. I love the look of rickenbacker but too much money maybe one day ha ha

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    For some reason they're showing two different prices for the G&L Kiloton.
    D77-F9-B37-217-F-4-A1-F-A4-C0-0-F06-ABFA2-A3-C.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    dbsfgyd1 and Microbass like this.
  7. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Thats smart, I like the pick guard. whats G&L i haven't come across them. thanks

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Leo Fender's last company...and some say the L2000 is his best work.
    Very nice company.
    Incredible basses for the money.
    My next bass is going to be a G&L SB-2 or another L2000.
    I modded mine...pickguard, fretboard stickers and control knobs.

Best bet of course is trying out as many basses as possible.
    I used to try between 50 and 60 a year.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    B-Lo likes this.
  9. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    When they say "feel", they mean how it subjectively feels to you, playing the bass on a strap.

This includes weight, neck width, string spacing, string type/gauge, and soforth. The same as guitar.

wintremute and DevonteRhys2003 like this.
  10. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Woah really? that's a lot i think. You must be good then. I think i've played like 6, but i know I don't like thunderbirds, the neck kept swinging down when i wasn't playing if you get me.

I think i'll have to keep testing and shopping around. Am between manchester and liverpool, do you know any good shops? thanks

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I only work two or three days a week and have plenty of music stores nearby, so I try basses just for fun.
    Other than that, I'm in the US and only know about the stores I posted hearing about them here at talkbass.
    Is either store in your area?

12. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Arr that makes sense, cheers mate

bearfoot likes this.
  13. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Andertons is well known but its down near london so like 4 hours drive. We've got alot round here manchester and liverpool with the band hsitory, beatles, oasis etc. Just thought if you were local you might be good for more advice! Thanks, Devo

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Glad to help.
    Others here will definitely be chiming in soon.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Always like help!

me and my mates don't have older brothers, 1 has a sister, and my dad was in a band but we don't talk, but we want to get band together. We have a drummer and his mum says we can practice there.

16. underwhelmist

underwhelmist

Nov 16, 2018
    UK
    Anywhere near Warrington? (my old stomping ground!) is Dawson’s still there, they used to have a decent guitar & bass section in the basement. Big music shop in Manchester, I think it’s called Forsyth’s? Manchester and Liverpool must have loads of places I would have thought.

I’ve had my MiM Fender P for years and I love it, but lately I’ve been playing my sons Ibanez soundgear 4 string a lot. It’s just great to play for some reason, very comfortable. He’s got an Ibanez 5 string as well now which is a great bit of kit.

DevonteRhys2003 likes this.
  17. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Orrell, but no sod ever knows where it or Wigan is so I jsut say liverpool/manchester. There's alot of places, I jsut don't know where is good. I might need to have a trek into on the weekend or something.

18. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Just hit a brick and mortar and pick up and play as many as you can...you will understand "feel" when the right bass chooses you. Have fun with it.
    Rock on.

mikewalker and DevonteRhys2003 like this.
  19. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    @DevonteRhys2003 That Gretsch is a short scale so keep that in mind. It will have a much different reach than a standard 34" scale bass. Nothing at all wrong with that but something to consider.

Looking at the website you provided, I would consider any of the Yamaha's - they are good quality for the price, especially the ones with two humbuckers and a Fender Player or Standard Precision or Jazz bass. Something like a Yamaha TRBX304 or 504 will give you a variety of tones. But it is always tough to beat a Fender simply because they are so simplistic and recognizable.