1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Bass for Christmas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DevonteRhys2003, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I have that bass. It is a terrific instrument, and not just for the price. Well made, nicely finished, great neck, and real nice tones available without any mods. Just put some flats/chromes on it and you are good to go!

2. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    There are a lot of really good basses under the 500 mark recently. FWIW I am a big fan of the Sire basses. Andertons have a big selection starting around 250.

3. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Best I can do to help with the "feel" thing is to pull back the curtain and show you the man working the levers and knobs.
    To me, this is why one bass would feel different than another. Apart fro the obvious stuff like neck with and thickness, you have fingerboard radius. You can find that info with the stats like scale length, etc.
    What that amounts to, is fingerboards, can be more arched or more flat. Fender typical is 9.5 radius, which would be more arched. In fact if you look at the strings going down the neck, you might even be able to see that the the strings on a fender bass are higher in the middle (A&D strings) and lower on the outer 2 strings (E&G). At least if it's well set up it would be that way. Which is a good segue to the next thing; setup. If a bass has really high action, the strings are not as close to the fingerboard as they could our should be. If everything is setup on the bass the way it should be, it will be as easy to play as it can be, and will be more comfortable in general. I've tried basses in music stores that were set up pretty badly. You just have to imagine what it would feel like with a good setup and a nice set of flatwound strings (if flats are your thing)...
    So, you might have guessed that larger radius values indicate a flatter fingerboard. I play a bass regularly that has a 16" radius. It's very flat.... So, that, in my opinion is where "feel" comes from. Apart from the obvious scale length, neck width and thickness, the radius plays into the feel as well. It's conceivable that someone with small hands can prefer a very chunky neck if it has a smaller fb radius. The inverse is true as well I'm sure.

You still have to play everything you can touch that 's in your price range, but hopefully this will help you start to figure out why you might prefer one bass over another. Good luck. I hope Santa brings you something nice!!

DevonteRhys2003 likes this.
  4. chazolson

chazolson Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    The Bruce Thomas Profile Bass

I ordered one of these about a month ago. P-bass with a narrower neck (1.625" instead of 1.75") that makes it easier to play. Hot pickup. Great quality stuff. Light. 495 pounds. If you like the Attractions' bass sound you'll like this.

5. mikewalker likes this.
  6. If you tell us your age and size it would help a bit. If you are an adult and average size, or taller, then a full scale (34”) is what I’d recommend and something you’d get used to. Short scales are getting more popular, and would be an easier transition for you, but they have some negatives. String selection and availability is much lower and many feel the E string doesn’t cut it.
    See if you can get to a high traffic store and try a bunch on while paying attention to neck widths, comfort and to a lesser extent weight. Most find instrument’s get unpleasant for extended periods when the weight gets over 9 pounds. Those G&L’s tend to be on the heavy side.

7. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    I didn’t mention in my previous post when I was looking, I came across Cort basses which were very nice for the money. Hardly any different from their higher priced Ibanez counterparts and are made in the same factory.

There are some really good choices in the £450 - £500 range. Namely from Ibanez, Cort and Yamaha.

8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Get a good, inexpensive bass and use the rest of your budget (plus more, as necessary) for a decent bass amp. Guitar amps don't take to basses very well at all.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    RedBass01.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  10. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    495 pounds isn't light! That's one of the heaviest basses I've ever heard of. Good luck with that on stage! :smug:

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Three important questions that will help us help you.

#1. Where on the planet are you? I can give you recommendations that would apply to folks in the United States of America, but if you are in Zimbabwe you might not have the same access to instruments I do...
    #2. What's your budget? How much can you afford on a bass? No sense in bragging up some high end boutique bass when all you can afford is a Squier Affinity series...
    #3. What style of music / playing are you planning on playing?

12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. chazolson

chazolson Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    Everyone's a comedian. (You kids get off my lawn, grumble, mumble ....)

wintremute likes this.
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms

15. Orange O Bass. Meets all your requirements and I LOVE mine.

16. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    G&L Tribute series are a lot of bang for your buck. I think a pbass platform is an excellent starting point, so check out LB100, SB1 or SB2. Unlike the American version the Tributes can be found used at good prices.

17. shadven

shadven Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    Fender P Bass. Boom, done. You’re good for years to come.

dbbltime likes this.
  18. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    To most people, a guitar "feels" good when it's close to the one they learned with, whatever it was.
    Such statements carry as much value as when they say the best food was their mum's.

19. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Iam 15, 16 in March and average height and skinny

Thanks for all the replys theres lots for me to read and learn. Yamaha TRBX304 Bass Guitar | Candy Apple Red might try one of these because you said yamaha is good.

do basses suit types of music like guitars, or are they more versatile? I don't want a 'metal' bass when we i won't be playiung anything too heavy. Thanks, Devo

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  20. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    If you go for that Yamaha or something like an Ibanez SR, you'll be able to create about any sound you want.