1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Bass for Christmas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DevonteRhys2003, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:34 AM.

1. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I'm getting bass strings for Christmas. Not even a full set, only the higher two because I want to replace that plain 0.017 with a wound one and get something thicker than the 0.025 I have for C.
    I'll leave the others in vodka for a while….

mikewalker likes this.
  2. underwhelmist

underwhelmist

Nov 16, 2018
    UK
    Doesn’t it make it taste funny?

3. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    No, it makes it taste better I’m sure!

4. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Do I need to change the strings!?

I'm guessing short scale will make it easier to play if I'm used to guitar? Cheers, Devo

5. So is 500 your max budget? Even at 300, youll have options.
    Yamaha, ibanez, peavey make good basses ,and there entry level stuff is solid.
    Squier affinity is hit or miss.
    Squier vintage modified and classic vibe lines are usually solid.
    You might even find a used fender in your range.

Feel the neck, wear it on a strap too. Try a lot. The one that feels the best is probably the one.

Set aside a little money for a set up too.

Good luck

TrevorR and DevonteRhys2003 like this.
  6. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    500 is kinda tops. Am putting money in too. I did look at Fenders but they seem very expensive. A friend was saying that they used to be about 380 new about 4/5 years ago. Now they are 550/600. Aren't squiers cheaper fenders?

7. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI

Apr 3, 2018
    jmone, Yammybass, jd56hawk and 5 others like this.
  8. Had a misfire there on my post reply! I suggest buying used, youll lose little money if you wanna trade or resell. Squier is licensed by fender, most made in asia now .theyre good, several lines though- affinities are the cheapest (in cost and quality)

9. DevonteRhys2003

DevonteRhys2003

Nov 22, 2018
    Thanks alanloomis1980 you like fenders then?

Am gonna have to try some, find out what I think works. It's hard understanding it, especially when people find things so different or hate on different basses/companis

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  10. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Pretty much. Not that regular scales are so hard, but a short scale is definitely more guitar-like. I play both short scale (30") and regular scale (34") basses. Both are good.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:56 PM
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    A certain chap from Liverpool seemed to do pretty okay with a short scale bass, and IIRC, it cost him only, like, 30 quid or something (whatever a quid is :laugh:).

hintz and dmt like this.
  12. I do. I like passive sound, (as opposed to active) i find its more "vintage." Fenders (and squiers) are usually pretty simple, easy to modify and change parts yourself.

I think Scale length is not as important as neck width. P basses are super popular but have a thicker neck, which can be uncomfortable for some (me). But bill wyman plays a short scale.... ;)

Squier vintage modified jaguar short scale is a crazy good deal and they sound awesome (200 USD new)

Ibanez is another high on my list for beginner. I started on one. They are notorious for being "comfortable"

Bottom line: dont get too hung up on it. If its a solid guitar and its set up right you can learn on it. If you find you dont like the sound or size later, trade it in.

jd56hawk and dmt like this.
  13. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    That Gretsch you linked to is well regarded.

Fender is the long time king of bass brands. For a quite different style (look, sound and feel), Ibanez is very popular. Meanwhile, Gibson isn’t anywhere near as big a player in the bass world as it is with guitars. I’m not saying to not get an Epiphone, but just laying out the lay of the land.

Whereas in the guitar world the traditional debate has been Fender Strat vs. Gibson Les Paul, in the bass world, the traditional debate has been Fender Jazz Bass vs. Fender Precision Bass. By the way, "Jazz" in this case is just a model name, it has nothing particularly to do with jazz music.

You might check out a Fender (or Squire) Precision or two, a Fender (or Squire) Jazz or two, and an Ibanez or two that are in your price range to see what appeals to you. Also that Gretsch and maybe a Fender Mustang PJ (Fender’s main short scale). If you can try some of those, you’ll have a good basis for choosing what might suit you.

But really, pretty much anything that can sound the notes well and be set up to play easily is good to start on. Go with something you can afford that looks cool to you and get a set up (a "set up" is basically having a shop’s tech adjust the positions of the strings, neck, bridge and pickup height, etc. so that the bass sounds right and plays easily).

Good luck with the band!

14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia, Riga
    There are a lot of them out there, so only you can decide properly, but if you like p/j/pj type, choose Fender or Squier, the other different type could be Ibanez.

15. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Welcome to TalkBass. My first suggestion is, ignore the people who hate on basses/companies. Why? You're in a glorious time to be a bass player. These days, even the lower-end instruments from reputable companies are solid players that can give you years of good service.

When budgeting for your new bass, I suggest you keep some money set aside to have a professional do a set-up on it. This will essentially optimize the bass, making it easier to play and get the most out of it.

I agree with you, when the head of the bass falls to the ground when you're not holding it (what we call "neck dive"), it sucks. So make sure you're using a strap when checking the stuff out.

When you get your bass, please come back here and post a NBD (New Bass Day) thread, showing us what you got.

16. Used Peavey
    Used Squier
    Used Yamaha
    Used Ibanez

All will serve you in good stead, you just need one to choose you.

17. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    I’ve just been through that first bass thing. I considered short scale but decided to go for a normal scale. In the end I settled on the Ibanez TMB600 which is well made, well spec’d and sounds and plays good.

18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    If you have a music store, pawn shop, bargain store, garage sale, friend's closet queen, or any place you can get your hands on a bass in your budget, do it...plug them in, feel them, touch them. play them....pick the one that responds to you the best -- that 'speaks' to you the most -- and also choose the one that is going to make you pick it up and play it every time you see it...Does this sound like an esoteric response? You'll be surprised that its not....best wishes and good luck

19. Have you checked Basschat ? That's the bass forum in the UK. Folk's will know where Wigan is,a couple definitely live there.

Basschat

Folks here offer good advice but most are in the US and things like the used market in the UK are totally different. A Gretsch jet juinor averages about £175 on the 2nd hand market, £270 new.

dbbltime likes this.