Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A broken Neck in Boston

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ahockeyguy, Feb 20, 2004.

1. ahockeyguy

ahockeyguy

Feb 20, 2004
    Hey anybody,

I'm a poor college student at Tufts University in Boston. About a year ago, the neck on my bass cracked - laterally across the heal, about a half centimeter at the top tapering to nothing at the body joint. When I had it repaired, a pin was put through the heel of the neck and the crack was clamped and glued - but I keep my bass in a common closet and whether it was climate or mishandling - the crack is back. I have a concert on March 7th, and it would be nice to play my own bass, but I'm looking for a repair shop in Boston that does a good job - and hopefully won't cost a student an arm and a leg...Any suggestions would be great.

Thank You
    Elliot

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Volker Nahrmann is in a nearby town, his number is (978) 667-0206. Very good bass guy.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Call the bass dept at Berklee or the NEC. Ask them who they recommend.

4. Volker is definitely someone you would want to contact. I go to Berklee and one of my proffs mentioned him to me when I was talking about upright basses, i can give you his number if you'd like...i'm sure he could help you out be it repairs or recommendations. I know of Rutman Violins...its right off Mass Ave...but i haven't heard the greatest reviews...I also have another number in the same area of Volker that might be able to help you out.
    -Katy

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    My previous assistant, Zachary Martin, works out of Providence, and can be reached at 401-274-3223. But considering the quality of Zac's work, I'd be surprised if he's not booked up...

DC Bass likes this.
  6. Whit Browne

Whit Browne Berklee Bass Department

Feb 27, 2013
    Bass Luthiers in the Boston Area: (listed alphabetically)
    Boston Bass Works, Michael Hartery, 978-500-8848
    Mark Carlsen, The Set Up Shop, 978-851-4499
    Jed Kriegel, 617-470-8371
    Volker Nahrmann, 978-667-0206

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Hartrey works out of Arnold Schitzer's shop now.

8. Guys, the thread is eleven years old.

KUNGfuSHERIFF and DC Bass like this.
  9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And my how it's grown!

10. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I'm still really concerned. This kind of trauma doesn't fade!

DC Bass likes this.
  11. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Also noteworthy: the OP created this thread, and according to their profile, never logged on to Talkbass again...:wideyed:

Trauma indeed...

KUNGfuSHERIFF and Lee Moses like this.