1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Challenge

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by afpdbobhaley, Jun 2, 2014.

1. afpdbobhaley

afpdbobhaley

Sep 11, 2012
    My teacher has challenged me to learn a song he wrote that is extremely difficult. My ear is not as good as I like and so my question is this: Is there anyone I can send the song to who can tab it or chart it out for me. I expect to pay for any assistance. Thanks in advance for considering.

2. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Isnt that defeating the purpose of you learning?

eukatheude and MonetBass like this.
  3. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Go back to your teacher and tell him that this homework is beyond your actual skills. A teacher should always know where you are to give you the best possible lessons. Why would you want to pretend you're better than you are?

And - before all this: try it again ;-) Time spent transcribing other bassists lines is never wasted - even when you do not succeed in the end. It opens your brain to new ideas ...

Just my 2 Euro-Cents :)

Tom

4. afpdbobhaley

afpdbobhaley

Sep 11, 2012
    Tom (and I replied to jessicabass but apparently it did not post so I will try again) and Jessicabass,

Thank you both, and both of you are correct. How do I explain this. My "teacher" and I have been friends for so long we sound like Billy Crystal and Carol Kane in The Princess Bride. We have both played in bands since high school, but he is a musician and I have been nothing more (and nothing less) than a weekend warrior playing what I have always referred to as "******** rock-n-roll" (and I do not mean that as a derogatory term at all) while he has made his living as a professional musician playing everything from rock to jazz to classical to back (He has released a number of cd's - His name is Frank Carlier [so check him out either as a member of The Blue Wave or Solo - itunes, cdbaby]) and if I had a brother it would be him.

I have recently taken the bass back up with his "help" and so a challenge was flung, and inasmuch as wine, politics, Scotland vs. England, Obama vs. Tea Party, Chevy vs. Ford, etc. etc. was involved it was accepted by me. If I did not have a day job, a wife (who I actually love and adore spending time with), 4 children (who make me laugh 95% of the time), two cats and a dog, and if this was the typical student/teacher relationship, I would do EXACTLY as you both suggest. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how one looks at it) this is not the typical student/teacher relationship.

So if anyone out there could help, I would really appreciate it.

jessicabass likes this.
  5. Mazer

Mazer

Apr 4, 2011
    Care to share the piece we're talking about?

6. afpdbobhaley

afpdbobhaley

Sep 11, 2012
    Sure! Can you tell me how? I will be happy to make a copy and send it, but I am sure there is an easier way.

7. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    For example: you could upload an mp3 to soundcloud.com and share a link.