1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a couple questions about MM and 5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gopens, Mar 25, 2009.

1. gopens

gopens

May 15, 2008
    Hello folks. I have not posted here in a while but I do visit daily. Almost a year ago I got my first base. Its a VM 70's 4 string. Its a nice guitar but would like to get something super sexy. And this is where my questions come in.

I have been looking at the line of Music Man basses. I must say I was not a huge fan of the MM when I first was looking into getting a bass. But they have really grown on me--TONS. I have been trying to figure out the difference in there models. I have done tons of research and still have yet to find out the real differences between the sting ray, sterling, and bongo (that bongo is a sweet guitar). Also I have read people talking about new and old sterling models. Whats does this mean.

My last question is about the typical argument between the 4 string and the 5 string. I really like the idea of having the 5 string but is it really something I would use. I know this is a question I need to ask myself. I have always been fine with the 4 string. But then seeing some of these players on youtube playing a 5 string makes me want one. Mainly that 10 year old kid Brandon Rose on the 5 string Fender. WOW.

So thats it. I know I am going with a EBMM but just not sure what model. I realy like funk music. But also like to play-along with George Strait. So there is a huge gap in what I like to play. thanks for the time.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Look at it this way...

You don't have to use the 5th string, but on a 4-string you don't have the option of going to a lower 5th string. It's the same, only more.

IMHO.

3. gopens

gopens

May 15, 2008
    Exactly what I was thinking.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Main difference is a wider neck to get used to.

5. i was looking for a MM a year ago.in fact i was looking for a bass and i got some major gas for a Bongo. i wanted to try a 5 strings just to have a low B, but, i thought that i like more the space between strings than the 5th string. 4 srings are wider, 5, narrower, that's obvious.

u should consider that.it's pretty dificult to jump from 19mm ( i guess ur VM is 19 ) to a 16.5(?) mm ( i really don't remeber ).

i got a Bongo, a sweet Bongo 4 HH and could not be happier. if u like funk... 4 strings should be enough.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man

The Bongo is extremely versatile. The HH version has been called the Swiss Army Knife of basses.....can't argue with that.

I've played all kinds of music with mine.

7. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    The main reason that I went to a 5er is that I was frequently frustrated by not having a low Eb and D on a 4string. Now that I play 5ers, it's also nice to have the low E and F at the 5th and 6th frets.

As to which EBMM you should get...I would recommend trying each of them.

8. Longhornhombre

Longhornhombre

Jan 24, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've owned the same StingRay5 since about 1999 or 2000 and I love it. I haven't found too many basses that give me the same feel (string spacing, tight B, great funk tone), though Lakland is close. I've played it through a ton of different amps/cabs/preamps, but at the end of the day, the direct sound is always hard to beat.

Been years since I've played a Sterling, but as I recall, the StringRay had a slightly deeper low end than the Sterling. Could be wrong about that now though.

I completely agree with mynan--try them! That's the only way...

If you haven't already, check out the EBMM site and compare specs, if that would help: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/

9. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    I've got a Stingray 5 HH, and it's a great bass. Always wanted a Stingray, and since I already had a 4 string Fender I thought I should get a 5'er. In a lot of songs I don't even use the B string, but it's still a great thumbrest! And, it's really not in the way for slapping or anything. People also talk about the wider necks, but personally I don't think that's a problem on a 5 string 'Ray. I have very small hands, but can with no problem mute the B, and sometimes even the E string, with my left thumb. Tighter string spacing than 4-strings does only make fingerstyle easier imo. And of course - HH version is the way to go, just used it for some studiowork on an HH exclusive setting. It doesn't hurt to get both the standard SR tone plus a few really nice newer ones :)

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I heart my Bongo 5 HHp with white PG over Desert Gold.

11. gopens

gopens

May 15, 2008
    thanks for the info. do any of you know if GC or MM carry EBMM bass'. I guess I could call them before I make the 1 hour drive. thanks again

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Are you going to have only 1 bass, or keep your 4 string, too? If you are keeping your 4, get the 5. If I were to have only 1 bass, I think I'd have a 5 string.

I am trying to not buy a MM Sterling (the real one, not the new cheap on) 4 string. I make good use of my B string, but I do have hand pain issues and the small neck of the 4 string is very appealing.

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The EBMM Bongo is the best mass-produced bass IMO. One more time, here's my couple:

Pair001.