1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a different humcancelling topic..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eddododo, Mar 28, 2013.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Is there any way to have an active, switch-on magnetic circuit under the pickup?

The idea is that the pickups are single coil, passive and unaffected until the circuit is engaged. When engaged, it creates an opposite-polarity magnetic field, eliminating the 60-cycle hum of a solo'd pickup.

I will probably have an answer for myself by the morning e_e but I would be most interested and grateful of anyone's suggestions or resource tips.. I am kind of going to use some relay switch coil stuff I have as a jumping off point.

Thanks!

2. You're talking about buffered dummy coils. Alembic does it, IIRC.

3. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    thanks, once again

man I wish I was born 40 years ago. I know I would have had at least one of my random ideas not yet invented...

4. The old Trace Elliot T basses had a third hum-cancelling pickup under the scratch plate, I don't know how much info is available on that.

5. EBMM does passive dummy coils.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and EBMM used to have an active hum-canceling circuit for their guitars, called the silent circuit.

if you popped the battery out the guitar still worked, but now had single coil hum.

7. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    this is more of what im talking about I think..
    flip a switch, add a current, coil somethingorother magnetism and BLAM!

heh

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's got nothing to do with magnetism, it's just a reverse polarity coil.

The EB system actually ran the dummy coil through a preamp and then into your regular pickup. The circuit took over for ground from the pickup. So if you pulled the battery it still worked, but the pickup was no longer hum canceling.

9. No, and that wouldn't work anyway. The strings interact with the magnetic field. The noise does not. As line6man explained, it's all about coils.

10. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Yea I tend to open my mouth first and read alll night later.. Ha

Thanks fellas for the input