Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Fishy Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well, I went a gig the other night, and one of the bands playing there (a melodic punk band, with some killer vocals harmonies and one of the best overall tone I've ever heard) had a bassist using an EBMM Stingray. However, it seemed a little odd for a Stingray - It had 4 control dials, and it didn't have the little silver bit underneath them. It looked to me like it had either a gold or a flame maple top, and the back seemed to be a seethrough kind of red (Like you get on the Les Paul Goldtops). I've never seen this kind of Stingray before, but man did that thing kick ass!!

Does anyone know what it was?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EDIT: It was the 20th anniversary stingray. IT has 4 kknobs, no contgrol palte, flame maple, red back.

Double edit: someone else confirms

Looks like you have your winner.

3. Well with no control plate and four tone knobs, it could have been a piezo equipped Sterling. The extra knob is a pan from the mag. pups to the piezo pups.

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks for the help guys! It was definitely the 20th Av. Stingray... If anyone ever comes across one, I recommend you try it out!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wouldnt that be 5 knobs. Regular sterlings have 4.