1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Five-String for the Rickenbacker Lover?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuckoSama, Apr 4, 2009.

1. BuckoSama

BuckoSama

Jun 30, 2008
    Plattsburgh, NY
    I love the feel and the sound of my Rick, and I don't particularly care for the feel of a Fender/Fender clone.

Since five-string Ricks don't have a reputation for being particularly Rick-ey, and are pretty much unattainable anyway, are there any five strings that have a similar character as far as feel that I should seek out and try?

Honestly, I don't know how I'd feel setting the 4003 aside - It's just so perfect! - but there are plenty of times in the middle of a jam that I just wish I had some downward mobility.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Jeff's 4 to 5 conversions are awesome. What I did was tune my 2nd Ric ,(a 4004Cii), BEAD. It's the perfect match to my standard tuned 4003, and I don't even remotely miss the G string. On that bass, I tend to keep it down low.

4. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Rickenbacker has tried to make 5 string basses 3 different times. The first was the 4005 5 string bass. This was pretty much a prototype that never went into production. The next was the 4003s5. This bass was basically a 4 string bass factory converted to a 5 string bass. This bass sounded great but the string spacing was 2 1/16" at the bridge. This made finger style playing cumbersome. They quit making the 4003s5 about 2001. The next 5 string bass they made was the 4004cii5. This was a real 5 string bass with a string spacing the same as a 5 string musicman. But this bass also had a flaw in that it had pickups that only covered a distance of 2 1/4" even though the strings were 2 3/4". This made the B and G strings kinda useless.

I used to own a lot of Rics. I am down to 3. I have learned how to modify the pickups so they cover a wider spacing and my Rics have a bridge spacing of 2 1/2", 2 5/8", and 2 3/8" respectively. I used to do 4-2-5 string mods for Rics owners. But a lot of them are pissed off at me for saying I prefer Fender style basses to Rics.

To get a Ric sound out of a non-Rickenbacker bass placing the pickups in the Rickenbacker locations the main componet of the sound.

5. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Hopefully someday Rickenbacker will do a proper 5 string Rickenbacker that doesn't have a big flaw.

6. studio848

studio848 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    SoCal, SWFL
    Schecter Stargazer maybe? they just came out w/a 5 string.

check the 'bay...

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Really! I can't believe that those nice people (RIC owners at the RR) would feel that way about your personal opinion. I use to be apart of that clan, but I left their little club three years ago and would never go back. They were all too narrow minded and over opinionated for my liking. I see by your comment above, nothing has changed.

TD

8. rhetttuba

rhetttuba

Dec 12, 2008
    Chuckatuck VA
    Bucko,

Sorry for the late reply. I own both a 4003 and 4003s/5. I would suggest that if you can demo the /5 that you give it a try. I find that I have rarely pulled out my 4003 since acquiring the /5 new in 2002. I play finger-style and haven't found the string spacing to be a bother. Might be a "to each his own" moment. Prior to acquiring the 4003 (1986) I had played a Peavey T-40. I can still remember the seemingly "huge" neck and wide string spacing on that hunk-o'-ash. Good luck on your quest!

Rhett

9. I only came into this thread to see more of Ric5's work. Just incredible stuff, IMO. But I think the BEAD thing is what I would do. I just find that I need a 5 string a lot less lately, but if that particular tuning was what was required of me, thats what I would probably do.

10. I don't follow this statement.

I have a 4003S/5 and while I definitely would have liked it to have wider string spacing, I've gotten used to it. Especially since I only play fingerstyle.

I've only had it for about 4 months but I play it every day and I'm almost afraid to even play a 4 string anymore.

My muscle memory has completely gotten used to it.

IIRC, the last 4003S/5 was in 2005 or 2006, not 2001.