A good cab for matching an Ampeg V-4B RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Xavierbass, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    I had Don at LDS build me a 15+6.5 cab with Ampeg AV cloth, to pair with a custom 100w fliptop style head a friend built me. Personally like the rounder sound of a 15 compared to 10's, plus a little controllable mid punch from the 6.5. I got it in the ampeg cloth in case i wanted to get a second one to run both with my SVT-VR :)

Xavierbass and Son of Wobble like this.
  2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Sorry, I didn't notice previously that you are in Chile, and thus no doubt need a "cab to rule them all," considering import prices and your budget.

I'm still voting 8x10 if size is no issue for you, because more cone space will help you get all the benefit of your
    100 watts, I should think.

Of course, someone here may point out that another, smaller cab is more efficient...

Xavierbass likes this.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I own 410HE, 410HLF and 810E. For a 410, I prefer the HLF due to the wider range of frequency response.

Son of Wobble and Xavierbass like this.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Barefaced 610 but you’ll probably get an Ampeg and then wonder why it sounds like crap

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have never heard a muddier cab than the SVT-410HLF - or really the whole HLF line. I have no idea how people can claim to like them.

6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    It all depends on how you set your EQ. The problem with most people is that they never change their EQ settings when they change cabs. I've seen plenty of well known pro players using HLF cabs.

7. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    With such a classic head like the V-4B, why would you use anything other than a visually matching Ampeg cab? If you're going to go, go all the way...

8. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

The HLF series is intended to be played at extremely high volumes. That's where they exceed over many other cabs.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Too bad I'm on a phone, otherwise I'd give you a Bernie Mac blank stare pic.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    810E for around $400 used USD

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Just cuz Jimmy is in his Sunday best don't mean he can't go all Billy Jack

view_13_Billy-Jack-Goes-To-Washington_eye_jpg.jpg

Xavierbass, SLO Surfer and JimmyM like this.
  12. tminus10

tminus10 On a mission from God

May 1, 2011
    Ridin' the rails
    What do folks think about pairing this amp with two SVT-210AVs?

13. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I tried this set up and I thought I sounded as good or better than a single 212AV. It was just about as loud, but with a more controlled low end (not as deep either). The 212AV certainly can handle the low end much better.

I later moved to two 212AVs and its exceeding all my expectations.

Xavierbass and Son of Wobble like this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I believe Jimmy M is a fan of this setup, particularly with the cabs stacked, which brings the speakers up out of "ankle blaster territory."

The issue is where to put the amp. Jimmy has photos of his setup with the amp on the bottom, which does not compute visually for some.

JimmyM and Xavierbass like this.
  15. Creeper2

Creeper2

Sep 30, 2013
    I say get the 610 hlf

16. I use 2 Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115s and get not only a great tone but seems to bee a heap MORE volume than when I used an 810E

Moosehead1966 and Son of Wobble like this.
  17. 20151208_180350_zpsegz9bb0p.jpg

18. My vote is for a used 810e

19. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds

Dec 29, 2008
    Third rock from the sun
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I use 2 SVT-112 AV's instead of 1 SVT-212 AV. I know you mentioned you weren't concerned with the weight but for me, weight and size is an issue and it sounds amazing. V4-B Stack.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  20. I run two stacked 210AVs with a PF-50T and it sure is nice to have the speakers up where you can hear them! I put my amp on its case beside the cabs, but most folks wouldn’t use a hard case for a V4B.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021