1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good reason to hate heavy amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fokof, Mar 8, 2013.

1. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Is UPS gonna replace it? Or reimburse you? They should!

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    WOW !!
    I thought SVT's were tough.

I had my VB-2 in the back seat of my 4x4 on top of a 115 cab, opened the back door (smoked windows). It fell 5 feet to the pavement. All that happened to it was the metal corners on one side got dented. It worked perfectly after.

4. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    I'd think this would be a reason to hate careless delivery people, not a classic workhorse...

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    A heavier head likely contains more mass, so it will fall toward the earth faster, potentially resulting in greater damage.

:ninja:

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Now..is the problem with UPS or with shabby workmanship with those that put the amp together?

Regrdless; I really hope that thing gets sorted out!

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Likely? :D

9. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    Technically, the head with more mass could be on the moon, thus weighing less.:bag:

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    That is the correct answer.
    (well..the part about back aches still applies)
    ;)

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I've had to deal with quite a lot of dropped heavyweight valve amps. Transformers gone wonky, and bust seams on the sleeve (glue joints and damp for 40 years might contribute) are as far as its gone, so I'd say construction is the issue.

12. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    More momentum, yes. More speed, no.

13. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

True....try dropping a feather and your SVT head at the same time, and your SVT head will hit the floor first......duh!:rollno:

14. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    DAMN, was that a VR!? Such a shame, stupid UPS.

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Also, it's totally Ampeg's fault too for providing such excellent and overbuilt transformers, had they skimped out on the transformer, none of this would've happened. :p

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    This.

17. Was the chassis was too weak and hardware split the chassis? Was the hardware used underrated for the stresses? Were the brackets on the "overbuilt" transformers sub-standard?

Was the original packaging sufficient to protect the known heavy product during shipment to save a few bucks?

All unanswered questions ;). People pay a lot of cash for these heads.

18. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    My herniated L5/S1 is all the reason I need to hate heavy amps (I'm using an Orange Terror Bass 500 these days) but in this case, its not the heavy amp's fault it was dropped by the careless human. Although you may be able to make a case for heavy amps being more likely to be dropped by careless humans....

19. That wasn't dropped. It was launched!

Or ~ if the moon were on the opposite side of the earth in relation to (the amp), the gravity of earth + moon pulled that baby to the floor with mucho force. Now...had the amp been between the earth and the moon...