Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a great book!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by buddahbass, Feb 3, 2005.

1. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    wow! i just finished, beneath the underdog. about charles mingus's life. if you have not read it yet, you really should. if you thought jaco was wild, this guy that x10. there is not really that much about his playing in there, but more about his upbringing and his troubles with women, and boy did he have them. he describes in great detail many of his encounters
    a great book about an even greater bassist :hyper:

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    BENEATH THE UNDERDOG should be read as a novel based on the life of an actual person, rather than as a biography...

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Not many people know where the term "underdog" comes from. In bear baiting matches, they used to turn two dogs loose to attack the bear. One dog was trained to go at the bear's head and throat, the other at its underside. The later almost always was killed, but the former usually had a better chance of seriously wounding the bear.

Hence, gamblers gave the "underdog" longer odds. I, personally, have stopped using the term since learning that story, since I think bears are special creatures that have been horrible mistreated at the hands of humans.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    And I thought Underdog was just a cartoon...

[​IMG]