1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Little Computer Help (Real Player)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, May 2, 2006.

1. I've been having some problems with Real Player for a LONG time now, but nobody's been able to help me solve it yet.
    Here's the problem:
    Real Player won't play certain media types (only video). For example, an MPEG movie will play just fine, but when I try to play an AVI file, it says it needs to download new software in order to play it. This leads to another problem: RealPlayer won't connect to the internet. I used to use it all the time as it has an Internet browser built in, but for the past several months it hasn't worked. I just get an "action cancelled" message or something like that, it never connects.
    SO, in order to download the new software I need, it needs to connect to the internet, but it can't.
    So does anyone know how I can get it to work again??

2. Couple suggestions. 1. If you're set on RP, re-install it. 2. If it were me, I would get "real alternate" player. Less spam-ish stuff with that anyway. Also, use windows media player and divx player for everything else. All free, and all work perfectly for me.

3. ^Yeah I already tried Windows Media Player and that gives me more problems then anything, I can't even get it to start up anymore. Same thing with Divx, it just never worked on my PC.
    "Real alternate"...I have no idea what that is.
    And you said "if you're set on RP", what does that mean?
    I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

4. That's, "If you've got your heart set on using Real Player...." I don't like Real Player at all myself. It's encrusted with ads that I really don't require in a media player, and it seems to crash or otherwise not work all the time. I don't think I've ever gotten anything out of that program. Needless to say, it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you're looking to play RealMedia (or whatever they are) files, I'd look for an alternative. I think there are seven or so. If you're just using it to play other stuff because its there, then I'd recommend using anything else.

5. OK, I've tried a few other things and nothing works. I can't play AVI or WMV videos. The ONLY thing I need to know is how to get RealPlayer to access the internet again. If it can do that, it will automatically download the nessecary software and fix itself.
    PLEEAAASSEE help.

6. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Codecs. you're looking for codecs. There are a ton of free packages out there, just google "video codec packs for real player" and you should be on your way. Plus, if your RP won't connect to the web, it's possible it's an outdated version. They love to update it with all kinds of new ads and crap, and then disable the 'old' version so you have to come get the new ads.

7. ^I have the most recent version so I know that's not it. I'll try looking for some codecs though, thanks.