1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A little Custom finishing help needed, 1978 MIJ Vantage

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luthier Atlanta, Jun 22, 2014.

1. So I picked this up the other day along with another one and this one has an issue (Pictures), someone went at it with the jack and dented it big time. Not to mention it crack and flaked off the finish (Poly?) to the point of no return.
    It is a tinted finish, I popped a piece up to check it out. Some my dilemma is, going about the taping off of the segments and not allowing the tint base to creep underneath the tape line and foobar the other portion. Any good advice will be appreciated, what tapes to use, how to ensure a good straight line, preventing bleed thru, etc.
    There is also surface damage in this area, any ideas on how to raise this area or a fill, blend, fuax finish?
    As one can see someone attempted to stain the afflicted area,

That being said, I will most likely use Behlen products, Sealer (VINYL Clear LACQUER SEALER) , Tint (B103-509 - Aerosol - Master Toner, DARK WALNUT), Clear coat (Ultra-Flo Ultra® Bond Satin).

Info on the guitar;
    http://www.vantage-guitars.com/models/800va.htm

Behlen Products;
    http://www.shellac.net/behlenfinishingproducts.html

001_zpsc583157b.

002_zpsf0ebfd35.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Did someone shoot it w/a BB-gun? :help: At best it would seem that you'll have to remove at least that side of the finish (at the laminate), sand and possibly need to fill the dents/holes and do your best to match the colour and clear-coat. Otherwise, the whole body needs refinishing. Unless you're a master finisher, you'll be lucky in doing a spot-patch job to make it disappear. Good luck whatever you choose.

3. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    Maybe put a custom shaped plate there , a cool tribal design could cover it all.

Or shoot the rest of it with a BB gun

4. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Make it really 70's, and get a brass control plate for the whole control section.

5. Yeah I am kind of torn on what to do with it at this point. I sanded the body flat yesterday without going through the clear coat and it removed so many of the dings. I got the stain to match pretty well, a lot better then someone else had and some clear on it last night. This is just to test the waters and see if it will be liveable or will I have to strip it down totally.

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Good luck!