1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A little VT Bass tone help needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassnyc1, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Instead of hijacking a couple of VT threads that are active right now, I thought I'd just start a new one asking for a little tone help from others who use or are familiar with the pedal.

I run my VT pedal into the front of my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and I either have the shuttle's EQ flat or sometimes with a bit of bass and treble boast. The settings on my VT pedal are:

Level: 11:00
    Mid: 1:00
    Character: 11:00
    Drive: 11:00
    Bass: 1:00
    Treble: 2:00

depending on the cabinet and/or the room, I sometimes turn down the treble as much as to 12:00. I'm basically happy with this sound with my passive jazz bass and P bass but it's a bit "clanky." Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid if the clank but still keep the bsic sound from these settings?

Also, anybody use this pedal with an active bass? With my passive basses, it's tone heaven (or close to it) but with an active bass, IMHO, not so good.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's a LOT of treble. some would call it a buttload. back it down some more. and maybe cut a little bass to even it out. the treble knob is supposed to imitate the ultra-hi switch on an svt at settings past 11:00, which can get really irritatingly clanky really quick.

3. 1009

Feb 7, 2009
    Chicago
    This.

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    To my (cloth) ears a chunk of the "clank" in a VT bass pedal is in the "character" knob. You might try tweaking that a bit as well.

5. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    back up your mid and treble and see how it goes!

6. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I use an active bass and keep the settings below. I like the pedal to sound like my bass does naturally, only with some big hairy balls:

Level: 9:00
    Mid: 1:30
    Character: 10:30
    Drive: 10:30
    Bass: 1:30
    Treble: 10:30

7. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    It's odd... when I have the VT in my chain, I keep the High right at 11 or a little below.

However, for a while the actual input on my amp was messing up, so I had to bypass the pre by going into the Power Amp In in the back. When I did that, the sound was so incredibly muddy, I had to dial up the High on the VT to about 1:30 to get it to sound "normal."

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Check out this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526710

According to it, the "flat" position (as flat as you can get with the VT Bass' rolloff around 4.5 kHz) for this pedal is with:

Bass at noon
    Mid slightly past noon
    Treble around 10:30-11
    Character very slightly past noon
    Drive off

and the Level set to unity, around 9 o'clock or so

That being the case, boosting the treble to where you have it is going to give you a good deal of clank. Dial it down and boost the level slightly to get you back to unity.

9. Bass at Noonish
    Mid slightly past noon
    Treble around 10:30-11
    Character very slightly 11
    Drive 11 or 12 depending on if I am using my combo or my full rig.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Treble for me doesn't go past 10, character never goes past noon. But I'm not competing for sonic space with anyone else - just myself.

The only situation where this might change is if I'm playing with flatwounds.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if the normal sound of your amp is very trebly, i could see that ;)

12. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Running my VT bass in front of my Shuttle 6 I have the settings almost identical to the OP with the exception of the treble, I have been keeping it around 10 for rehearsals. However I have discovered that using the Shuttle's DI (pre) it is still too much treble and had to cut it almost all the way off for FOH.