A Minitaur? or is it Redundant?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by chaak, Dec 7, 2019.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Hello everyone,

I have always been a huge fan of synths and as much as i make do with software solutions and VSTs I am all about hardware. I have been wanting to buy a Moog Minitaur and make it part of my writing, recording, and live process with my band. My question is I own many effects pedals that can get me into textural and timbral synth territory with of course several limitations but they do great. I normally use a Meris Enzo, Meris Ottobit Jr. EH Micro Synth (old version) MXR BOD, Iron Ether Subterranea, Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard, Source Audio Manta Filter. So combining some and setting up other to mimic certain synth sounds and adding modulation works, but tracking isnt that all great (especially when using my 5 strings active bass) and the downside is that i have to keep track of all the pedals i am using the chain and the settings not to mention the size of a required pedal board and the routing.

My question is my band is currently composing and laying down guides for our album, would a minitaur be better suited for now and for the long run (with live performances)
    or do i already have everything i need in that sonic territory?

on a side note, its either a minitaur or i use the money to start a parts jazz bass build (i have a P and a 5 strings and id like to add a J style instrument)

thanks.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you want to get to MIDI and use some MIDI Synths check out
    Jam Origin – Audio to MIDI

The video by Paul Bielatowicz is guitar tracking and guitars will track better than bass but it still shows a lot of potential and is free the try.

Boss introduced a SY-1000 guitar/bass synth and it looks really good. It does best with a GK split pickup and if you're going to build a bass you could fit one in. Boss built in synths are great.

Either way will get you to full MIDI control and analog synths old and new if that's what you're after.

chaak likes this.
  3. I’m not normally part of the “if you want synth tones, just get a synth” (my pedal drawer will attest to that) but consider the Sub Phatty. Both the Minitaur and it are built on the same foundations and with the Sub Phatty dropping into the <$600 range, having the built-in keyboard and preset recall (not to mention more features) will make incorporating a synth into a live setting much easier.

I sold my Minitaur for that reason - the overlap between the two units was too great to justify owning both.

chaak likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021