A musical pilgrim arrives at her virtual Valhalla

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Pilgrim Paige, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Pilgrim Paige

Pilgrim Paige

Jul 19, 2015
    Canada
    Greetings, fellow low-end lovers. Long time lurker here, finally shedding the shadows and blinking into the light.

I got my start musically in writing lyrics, before moving into electric guitar (quit faster than a blink), drums (2005-2006 - fun, but not quite me), acoustic guitar (2008-present - still cursing barre chords)... electric guitar, again (2010-2011 or so - meh, it's okay) and finally, bass guitar (November 7th, 2012 to present - I play daily and have done since the start, with the exception of the summer before last when I alternated with acoustic occasionally). I sometimes wish someone had put a bass in my hands from the start - it's such a joy for me and I'd be so much further along with it. My preference is finger-style, particularly on my Ibanez GSR200 - I like picking on the SR300 (through a Rumble 30). My next steps will be into the world of 5-strings, as well as picking a more powerful combo amp. Other hobbies include writing (poems, lyrics, music reviews), digital art and taking in nature.

I've been familiar with this forum for almost a year now (I actually joined back in June or July I think) and it's been a wonderful source of knowledge ever since.

2. Hello!

Great introduction, I admire anyone who can play a variety of instruments, and I think having that experience can give you a broader picture of what is possible on the bass.

Enjoy!

Pilgrim Paige likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Welcome aboard!

4. JEBassman

JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Welcome to the light! There is a lot to learn here, and plenty of musicians to communicate with. Of course those musicians play bass :)

I'm glad you're so happy with the electric bass - it is an awesome instrument!! What styles of music do you enjoy?

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can tell you're gonna be fun to have around. Glad you're here.

Welcome to TalkBass!

6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

Here's to learning the joys if being the foundation that music stands on.

7. Pilgrim Paige

Pilgrim Paige

Jul 19, 2015
    Canada
    I play a bit of everything. My library spans mainly from the '60s to present and includes rock, funk, punk, R&B, hip-hop, experimental, prog, and downtempo. Oh, and I do need a spoonful of sweet jazz to help the METALcine go down. (I'm a heavily metal-cated young woman).

Huzzah! Also, \m/

8. JEBassman

JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Having diverse musical tastes can only enrich your enjoyment of music. Your playing will benefit, as you've probably already discovered.

Personally I consume more jazz than metal...okay a lot more jazz. Anyone who listens to jazz along with other styles is moving in the right direction.

Welcome to TB!

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

I'm a metalhead, playing modern country covers, and old country standards :/ go figure!

10. Pilgrim Paige

Pilgrim Paige

Jul 19, 2015
    Canada
    How did I leave out country and folk? I love me some indie folk and neofolk ("dark folk").

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021