1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A new ‘Peg for smaller gigs and practice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Earlier this year I purchased a brand new Ampeg V4B with matching 212AV cab. I’m in constant heaven. That tube tone CANNOT be beat! However I find myself wanting this tone when I practice with the band without lugging my stack around and putting more time on the tubes. We also do a couple living room gigs a year and sometimes I just don’t need 100 watts tube power with me at a gig. I’ve tried out and have been eyeing the Ampeg SVT Micro VR Stack. It seems like this little rig does a pretty good job getting some of that Peg tone. Are these a decent little amp for the application or is there another Ampeg I should be looking at?

JJR58 and kat888 like this.
  2. I'd be looking at the PF50T myself

3. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Which PF cabinet do you find best pairs with this amp? Does the amp mount/attach to the PF cab top panels?

4. I dunno. I'd imagine pretty much any cab would should good.
    I LOVE my 2 Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115s. .. great old school sound with good efficiency and lightweight.
    Just coz they sound so good. ..especially with tube amps. .I'd go with one of those. ..ymmv of course. I had a PF115HE and while I liked it's tone, it didn't handle enough power for my needs. ..the Bassman 115s do. ...easily.
    But I'd imagine that the PF115HE would match up really well with the 50w all tube amp of the PF50T

5. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    If you can find a b100r used, get it.

6. Or a PF20T, if you want the V4-B sound, get another tube amp, 20 watts would be enough for a living room, I did a gig with a friend's 25 watt B-12 once and it sounded great and had plenty of volume and this was an outside gig, course there were no Marshall stacks in sight.

johnpbass and rodl2005 like this.
  7. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I have a PF-50 T and run it thru a PF 112 . For small gigs I pair that with a SVT 112AV or use two SVT210AV's . Killer mini rig . Surprising how loud that little amp can get .
    Next I'm getting a PF-20 . Ran a buddie's thru the the two SVT210's ...mini SVT grind..just a wonderful sound .

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  8. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Run it with my B100R also
    P5120020.JPG

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just busted out my Micro VR/210av for the first time in a few months this weekend. Sure, you can tell the difference between it and a V4B, but I find it quite pleasing for the money. Any of their current amps do a good job of sounding like Ampeg, but for those who like the 212av, I'd say they should probably go with the 210av or PF112hlf. Not the most high power handling cabs out there, but they'll get reasonably loud enough for living room gigs and the like, and they're both super light. Make me pick one and I'd take the 112, but I like both a lot.

10. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    The Micro VR is really appealing with the default 210 but I'd also like a 112 cab for smaller rooms and acoustic accompaniment.

11. Anyone tried the PF-50T with a PF-115LF cab (instead of the 115HE)?

acubass likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The PF-50-T paired with a 1x15 in a portaflex cab would be the ideal combination. It’s a little on the pricey side. But definitely has what you're looking for plus a whole lot more.

An equally viable solution is a B100R combo.

I recently picked up a used B100R from the TB classifieds and I couldn’t be happier with the Ampeg sound it delivers. It has an honest 100 watts of power, a very flexible EQ section and a sweet sounding 15” speaker along with a headphone jack making it perfect for a small gig, jamming with friends, or practice sessions. It’s since become my goto amp for all those situations.

And did I already mention it sounds like an Ampeg?

(Note: I also have a vintage B-15N. But that no longer leaves the house.)

Turock, Lobster11 and brianmharrison like this.
  13. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Amazing how loud the 20T gets through 2 210AVs. Agreed, wonderful sound!

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If you like the 212AV, maybe go with a 50T or 20T and 112AV. Great combination. I'm a big fan of the Ampeg 12 based cabs.

Ed Byrnes and BluesOnBass like this.
  15. Honestly, if money were an object I'd get a BA combo. Good pieces of kit, for sure. That being said, if you've got the cash and are sold on a head/cab set-up, maybe just get a smaller cab, or a pf50T or 20T. If you like tubes, nothing else will be quite the same, unfortunately. But if you're cool with compromising, it's kinda hard to go wrong IMO with most Ampeg stuff, also the fender rumbles. YMMV and all that, though.

16. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
  17. I have almost your exact set up, except I have 2 of the 112AV cabs. I picked up the MicroVR/210AV rig used and could not be happier and every project I've played in with comments on how good it sounds.. Eventually, I added a second cab and now use the rig for smaller gigs and it kills.

Mine at a pre-gig rehearsal next to an SVT/610:

20171113_181144-.

Sparky Mark, Mastermold and johnpbass like this.
  18. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Exactly this! I've had my B100R for 10+ years, and it has served the purpose for everything from the smallest acoustic gigs to outdoor shows (with FOH support of course) in front of thousands. The best amp I've ever owned.

SwitchGear, Turock, lowendrv and 2 others like this.
  19. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    If I was to get the 50 Watt PF, would the PF112 cab have more burn than the PF115? Also does the tube PF Head mount on the tops of the PF cabinets and store inside the cabinets?

20. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    How does using two 210AVs compare to one with that setup? Does it fatten/louden the sound?