Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A New Era

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by int, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I haven't really been active on the forum for a while - with finishing school, starting and leaving my own company, and having a daughter, I haven't had a lot of time to post over the past 2 years or so.

But now it seems life has hit a humourous stage.

About a year ago our singer left for CA. It was something I knew was coming but apparently it took the band I was in by surprise. Which, in fact, is no surprise considering half the group was too stoned to realize what the guy was saying when he said "I'm moving to California in 6 months."

Anyways, the other guys got all bent out of shape (don't do drugs kids) about the situation and our search for a new singer was fruitless - so I've been bandless for about a year now.

But I digress.

So I've been answering these ads on Craigslist.com.

The first group I played with was, supposedly, and Indie/Punk/Garage band. Cool. I dig.

I showed up a half hour ealry to do a quick setup and to shoot the shizzle (blech) with the drummer (who put the ad out) before the guitarist showed up. The drummer seemed cool.

The guitarist showed up late and forgot his chord. Woot.

So we shot the shiznit a little longer.

Once we finally started jamming the whole Indie/Punk/Garage thing breaks down to 12 bar blues and Pearl Jam.

Now I like Pearl Jam. I know alot of their songs. But I was 15 when I learned them.

Not something I want to do now.

So that sets the stage for my month long endeavor (so far) to find a decent group. I've done this before - trying out instrumentalists one at a time - but now that I'm a husband, father, and I've finally got a full-time job I can excel at (and "move up in the world" :rolleyes: ) it's been...uhhh....interesting.

The band I jammed with tonight is cool - the've got a 90's "alternative" thing going on and they want me to come back next week. I figure I'll do it since their the only group that sent me songs (I tried to learn 8 songs in an hour - while my daughter was napping yesterday. Ween and Wilco mostly. I spent most of my time on the Rancid song even though I already knew it :D ) and are somewhat organized.

So maybe that's my beef? I've tried out for 6 or 7 bands over the last month and only one of them has any sense of organization.

And another so: I 'm sorry to rant here. Since Em was born I've basically been left to the wind. Letting it direct me - since most of my friends have organized me into a different league. The "parent" one.

heh...I can't wait until their in my position. Short sightied #$%^&*@M!.

But I still think the best role model, to my daughter, I can be is one who lives his passions. So I play on.

As long as I don't have to go on tour or work weekends. :D :crying: :bassist: :D

And the little girl cries, appropriately. And I go - father comes to save the day.

I love it.

But please help me find a band.

Thanks.

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hey there.

Well it is good to see you are gonna play some Ween. :)

Have you considered hitting some of the more established jam scenes in your area(not the knockin' on heaven's door and 3chord schlock stuff)? You might find some people in search of a bass player there.

DCat

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I found out alot of bands i talked to are also not going anywhere or very limited. I have a new lil one my daughter will be 1 next week and im 43 :eyebrow: A late in life blessing but she cramps my style and freedom. I need a band thats commited and driven...i found one a few weeks ago and although we play classic rock covers its cool and im having fun.Keep looking and the right one will come along...i feel ya on the time thing but playin with someone is better than playing alone...i did that for to long and got nowhere.

4. heh...I'm answering ads left and right. I live in Denver and a lot of the bands looking for bassists are jam bands from Boulder.

Not something I want to repeat again in my life.

At least the "3 chord schlocks" (classic, I love it) are easy to weed out.

Hey congrats bassbully. It may be late in life but it's still worth it ---- but you know that.

Funny thing is I've found a lot of talented people. It's just hard because I don;t see a lot of motivation and focus on some common goals. I don't know if that's the bane of the musician or if I'm missing something.

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks...same to ya good luck with the baby and getting a gig. Im happpy for now and learning what band life is all about at my age learning anything new and refreshing is fun. :p