1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A PW video nightmare....

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Good God, this shows up @ Facebook this morning......me in 1981 with Pharoah Sanders in Slovenia, rushing like a bat outta hell and channeling Ron Carter like a fool.
    Forgive me, Lord......:eek:

2. Hell,I dug it.

3. Thanks, man.

I can't take full responsibility for copping Ron because one night I did that **** as a joke to a bass player in the audience and Pharoah says...." Aww yes! DO THAT more, especially down on that low B string!"
    Pretty silly....I shoulda' said that I charge more fer that ****. :help:

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Burning, Paul! The Bohmann in action, too.

5. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Loved it! Nice work Paul.

6. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Tempo at the beginning: about 175
    Tempo at the end: about 180

Rushing? I don't think so; just pulling on the front side of the beat a little bit! Did they let you take a solo on that one? I'd love to have heard it!

7. Thanks, you guys.
    statsc, thanks fer checking out the time. I play way on top alla time to try to get it to swing. I'm one of those who could care less if it rushes as long as the head can be played out without a hassle for the lead player. The piano player and drummer tended to lay back into the time and most guys would just pull down with them but i'm stubborn I guess. Listening back, though, it sounds like Pharoah is playing more on top with me. Yeah, I got a solo on every tune but he liked me to go out and play by myself with no back up so i'd just play BS.
    Eric, this was my first European tour and it was great to have the Bohmann with me. I dint have a trunk yet so they paid half fair seat for the bass for a long tour. That direct to the board makes the bass sound like a tin can.
    BTW, the bass player who I mentioned that I played the Ron Carter stuff as a joke for was Wayne Darling.

8. It sounds very good. Be proud of that clip. Yes the tempo goes up, but so what? (I checked it out as starting roughly at half note = 88bpm, and ending at roughly half note = 99bpm) So a good 22 quarter notes per minute faster when the clip ends. Does the rest of the tune exist on youtube?)

9. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    sounds great!

10. Thanks, Will...

longfinger, that's the only clip I saw up from that concert.

11. I liked it.

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey OLDGUY, nice playing! ;) The bass's tone kinda suffers from the period amplification but what the hell, eh?

As far as I'm concerned, the little bit the tune sped up is about right for a live performance - it builds excitement. There's nothing worse than having a song slow down on stage...

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds great to me!

14. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    If only I could play so poorly.

:D

And I dig the "Ron Carter" -nicity!

15. Thanks again, you guys...even Jack who calls me THE OLDGUY

My favorite part is @ about 9:15 where I gave the piano player my answer to Benny Goodman's "The Ray" glare. My girl, Julia, brought this to my attention yesterday. I just couldn't seem to get him off his ass.
    Enough, and thanks...

Check out Eric Hochberg's latest side that this thread keeps bumping out......wonderful stuff.

16. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Speaking of "looks," your drummer has got "that hxxxxy's crazy" look.

Nice tune.

17. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    nice groove, great tone, paul. if only the underwood and spiro's always sounded this good. i hear you listening to the soloist... the piano guy seems to be doing a good job of plowing through the middle and listening to himself.

18. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

great stuff!

19. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Wonderful.

20. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    PW, man. Please pardon us and note that most of us spend years in a futile effort to reach that level of suck-itude.

Carter-isms. The double triplet-rake around 1:42. The the Ron-Buster smear at 6:18. The arpeggiations around 6:51. They work. The Pharoah hath declared it to be so!

+ + +

For those seeking a more up-to-date view of Mr. Warburton's tone and musicality, consider a listen to his 1997 quartet date "Speak Low."