Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question about wireless networks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have been looking around... is the 11mbps of 802.11b fast enough to get the full usage of my broadband? should i be looking at g instead? helps

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    also how good is the range? like i am shooting for 25 yards through brick. any hope? ( just so ur wondering i am wanting to set up a network for my parents and i to share a connection, no sense in them paying for the 3 times a month they get online.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Might as well get G just in case you need it in the future, though it's so cheap. I've been able to get 25 yards+ through a brick wall, so I'd say go for it. you can always build a pringles can antennae.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're the only user I doubt you'd notice a slowdown between b and g, but nowadays g isn't really any more expensive, so you might as well go with it.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "g" is faster, but at that distance, it prolly won't be really obvious.......it is the newest technology, and it appears more and more companies are releasing hardware for it.....as mentioned, the "g" is not really that much more $$ than "b", so no sense in investing in the old technology.....however, "b" is more readily available at this exact moment if you are planning on going to places with WiFi "hotspots"......just some things to think about......if it were me, i would go "g".

-Mike

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    g is great, unfortunately here in boston we only have a b router because my roommate got it for his powerbook which is a little older than mine and had b standard, mine has g standard, however, on this router I go at b speeds, which is kind of lame.

but yeah, there are many ways to boost a signal if you should have any problems, pringles cans work great, there are also more expensive options that don't necessarily work any better ;)

one thing that is kind of important, from what I understand, florescent lighting creates interference, but also 2.4 GHZ phones do to, the 802.11 spec operates on that frequency, so if you have many cordless phones in your house that are 2.4 GHZ, they might interfere with your signal, and either lower the range you get, or all together cut it out, so be wary of that.

also from what I understand, concrete is a material that isn't to friendly for wireless networks, just something to bear in mind.

also netgear routers stink :p

(well, their wired routers are okay, but their wireless ones are poo)

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You can get 802.11g (not sure of the exact number) running at 5GHz also.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    well there is just a silly deal on a b router and card combo here so i will be going with b. now what is this pringles can trick you speak of.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Re: the post about B hotspots, almost every G card does A and B as well. Avoid the Prism 54 chipset if you plan on using Linux at all. You can get it to work, but it's a pain in the butt.

www.prism54.org

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Blisshead...thanks for the clarification. :)

-Mike

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No problem! :)

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    With an empty pringles can and about $8 in parts you can make an antenna that extends your wireless range as well as or even better than a $150 antenna sold commercially. A pringles can just happens to have the right dimensions to make a good antenna for the 2.4 Ghz band that 802.11 operates on. Do a google search for "pringles can antenna" and you will get loads of info.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    A G router will also work with a B card; you will just get B speeds. B and G are reverse compatible, so they all play together nicely.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You'd have to have some real freakin' fast broadband for it to be faster than B can handle. Most places that you're going to download from can't give you that kind of speed anyway. The difference really comes when you're tapping into other computers on your network. I know Jon already made his purchase but I'd also have to say that on everyday deals G and B aren't a huge price difference but you can occasionally find some incredible specials on wireless B that put it significantly lower than G.

brad cook

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    they play nicely together, but not that nice, while they will work, from what I've heard, and my experience, g devices on a b network ,will not only be relegated to b speeds, but they won't will suffer some minor performance drops that a b device won't experience.

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    that super cantenna is SICK.

"increases transmission form 500 ft. to several MILES"

sweet jeebus.
    i also found a guy who makes them out of old "primestar" or direct tv dishes. lol