1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question on cab and head size for gigging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smitty1939, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Smitty1939

Smitty1939

Dec 12, 2018
    Wyoming
    Hey everyone!
    Just had a quick question I wanted to run by some knowledgeable bassists like yourself. I just started playing live with a cover band (we mostly play 90’s punk) and I really have to upgrade my bass setup right now. I’m looking at getting a TC Electronics BQ250 and a Peavey Headliner 210. Do you guys think this would be enough to gig with? And if not, can you give some suggestions on what I should get. Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

2. I am guessing you play fairly loud?
    If so, more speaker area and more power (in that order)
    may help you out.
    If you can get out and see what others in your area are using
    and how those amps are working for them it may give you some first hand knowledge
    without the expense of buying lots of amps until you find the right one for you.

Jim C and Smitty1939 like this.
  3. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    Well i been using a tc electronic bh250 for almost 2 years , we have been to different places and i never had an issue , the key is the cab , sometimes i been ok with a 210 , sometimes i have used a 410 ... with and without pa support , so i guess is good to have multiple cabs in case u need to move more air and be heard ! hope that helps

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    For my money, a matching pair of 2x10s stacked vertically is an ideal rig for most purposes: all the volume of a 4x10, but the tall stack gets a couple speakers up closer to ear level so you can hear yourself -- and the amp up closer to eye level for easy access. Plus, it has great horizontal dispersion, so band and audience members off to the sides can hear you better too. If you like your Peavey, you'll love two of them.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  5. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    It all depends on the guitar players and the drummers, but that's going to be more kit than any of the major punk bands of the 70s had starting out.
    Like the man said, you can always add a second 2x10 if you need it.

6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    If I was to play with a band where the only info available is that they do punk, a 4x10 and a head that pumps 250W into the cab would be the minimum I'd dare to show up with.

IME, you'll find a guitar rig that's along the lines of a beaten up Marshall or Laney 4x12 with a 100W head, a PA that's vocals only (and bad at that) and a drummer that hits it like he never learned how to play softly.

All my amp heads have a master vol knob on which I can not only increase volume, but also do the opposite. When my cab is too big, I turn down.
    When my cab is too small I ... well.

RyanOh likes this.
  7. ispunk

ispunk

Aug 26, 2010
    I'd definitely go with a pair of 210 cabs. Just picked up a pair of TC electronic RS210 cabs for $500. I'm using my Darkglass M900 to power them. Haven't gigged the 210s yet but seemed to have plenty of volume when I tried it at home. Switched to the 210 cabs for now since loading my Ampeg 410 cabs into the back seat of my car is a PITA

RyanOh likes this.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If you think that you will continue playing, and that loud and clean is your goal, I would get rid of what you have and buy an effecient cabinet (4x10's used are a great deal) and at least a 500 watt head.
    This could be your last rig for your current as well as future bands.
    To me, the amp and cabient are more important than the bass by alot.
    Don't skimp on the amp and cabinet IMO/IME

9. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Falls about laughing... Honestly, is any bass player under about 70 liable to be buying a ''last rig"? And why would anyone want to? It's not a marriage, is there even any point in trying to choose an amp for any longer than the short term need?

10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    90's punk, is that what was commonly called alt back in the day or are you going to be playing more hardcore punk?

l view 70's punk as a hardcore version of folk. Run what you brung, do what you do. Clean and clear, screaming and distortion, ganky rigs of doom, hard rock, soft rock, and everything in between. For this, I would want something flexible. IDK how varied 90's punk was. It was everything from Blonde to Talking Heads to The Laughing Dogs to The Stooges.

For fun search youtube for "Proto Punk" and find a song to play and keep everyone on their toes :D

Good luck with your quest!

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It is a theory that has only been proven in a labratory enviornment...
    OTOH, there are plenty of guys that started off with an SVT and haven't switched.
    Just saying that why buy something new that may not have enough $ass for that type of music in the first place?
    Plus, I owned a used combo version of the TC 250 wth a single 15 and did not care of it at all.
    Sold it within a week.

12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    A lack of paperwork and wedding rings are just minor details :D

13. Lobster11 likes this.