1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A very small progress report.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Anyway, after quite some time of blood, sweat, and tears I made the decision last night to actually go out in public and play the bass. This one was no small matter for me, as most of you know, because of a lay-off of more than six years. I have been practicing big time, for me. I was never a practicer, but this time I HAD to because I had no chops left and NO calluses. I called a couple close friends and hinted about my idea. One of them, Al, a great pianist ...who is also a pal of our Marcus, kinda figured what was up so he said he'd see me down at El Chapultepec.....a legendary jam session venue here in Denver.... in a minute. Al has been unbelievably supportive in my life lately. We have a lot in common....the most obvious: He's gotta put up with me, and, I gotta put up with him.
    I knew Mark Diamond, my close friend and one who considers me a mentor, was playing bass in the house band and like many bassists in the area, has stolen a few of my hipper licks over the years....yes, I figured he owes me...he'll let me play.
    I was about to pack up the Bohmann, because in this endeavour I would need all the help I could get. Even at this stage of the game I can still do something that nobody else around here can do. Play a low B pedal. Only prob with that is most of these mothers can only play in Bb. I can STILL make this work....**** 'em.
    Then I thought... if I walk in with my bass (so to speak ) that will be a commitment to play....later with that ****. Worse than that, if there are people there who know who I am...I can hear them whisper to each other...."Oh, my god! Is that HIM??" "****, he ain't gonna try to play is he?" "WOW! He STILL has some balls!" And, the worst one, from some chick I don't remember...."Gimee my purse! I need my lawyer's number!"
    Long story, longer....went on down. Thankfully, my old band mate Mike Whited was the drummer..we, along with the great pianist, Dick Hindman, were the house section at Clyde's Pub here, where we worked with about eighty of the masters of jazz in the world over a two year stretch. Mike's brother John, was the drummer on Scott LaFaro's first recorded effort with the Pat Moran Trio.
    I ended up playing a hell of a lot of time on Mark's bass to the delight of the small, but cool, audience.
    AND, to MY delight, when I got home I noticed something in my swollen, right index finger. It felt different somehow. I put on my heavy duty reading glasses and turned on my bedside lamp and there it was: A VERY small, but very lovely callus beginning to form. I'm very proud of this baby..I emery boarded that sucker and shined it up real nice this morning.........:hyper:

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Awesome.

3. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    That's great man!

On a side note, my friend Dave Devine is a guitar player down in Denver. He speaks very highly of you. Do you know him?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cool, P. Welcome back to the sanity.

Al's a good man... I'm glad you've hooked up with him.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Great story PW! Really happy for you, my friend. It sounds like it was and will be good for the soul.

6. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I should care? I never played well enough for anyone to notice how much I deteriorated.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    That **** is overdue. Welcome back to the bandstand bitch.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Unka PW returns, yo...

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Back in the saddle, again...yipee

10. Good on you, mate! Keep it up, and I'll have to drive up and see you!:)

11. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe your action is too high. Have you checked your fretboard to see if it needs more relief?

Sorry, had to do it. :bag:

Fantastic stuff PW. Inspirational. I'm gonna go listen to a little bit of the "Paul Warburton Quartet."

12. No man, but I am a bit concerned about my headstock.....it's got these here curly thingy's on it.....what the hell is that all about?

13. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks Paul. Keep it up.

14. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Maybe you should see a doctor about that? :eek:

Congrats!

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Boogie on, Reggae Warmbaton.

16. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Big smile on my face reading your post, sir PW. I hope to get to see you play some day. In the mean time, keep us posted and keep on keepin' on.

17. Great News PDub.... A man gotta do what a man gotta do:cool:

Ran into some folks from Denver at the gig we do on Sunday afternoons. Nice couple, they love jazz and knew about you. They spoke highly of yourownself!

All the Best

T

18. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'll gladly join the round of applause for you Paul!

19. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Good one Paul....I'm interested in seeing how long it takes you to get back to full steam. My guess is not long at all. Any other gigs lined up? We're planning a camping trip in the Rockies this summer and would love to overnight in Denver to see you play. :hyper:

20. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is a great thing, Paul! :hyper: