1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadofsix, Jan 24, 2012.

1. How difficult would it be to rewire a 4 ohm cabinet into an 8 ohm cabinet? Can it be done and is it worth doing. I presently have a 8 ohm Ampeg B 410HE cabinet and would want to stack it with the other 410 when the need arose. But the Ampeg BSE 410 HLF cab I'm now looking at is 4 ohms. I definitely would not want to try to run a 4 ohm cabinet with the 8 ohm cabinet. I like my Gallien Krueger amp too much for that! It's either this or just get the SVT 810 cabinet that I'm also looking at but only use it when I'm playing outdoors.

Thanks for your replies.

<><Peace

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Needs all new speakers to go from 8 to 4. So not so much difficult as expensive.

3. Yeah, I was afraid the speakers would have to be re-coned for wiring the cabinet to 8 ohms. Bummer. I can do the work (I worked at an electronics shop re-coning speakers a looooooong time ago -- lol) but getting the parts, I'm afraid, would be a PITA.

<><Peace

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    When the time comes you may want to consider an amp that has two power amps. You could then run a 4&#937; load from each.

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I like the idea of the 8x10 a little more than two slightly different 4x10's anyway. Of course, I don't have to lug the thing around so...

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It would be easier to just replace them.

Can you even recone a speaker into a different ohm rating?

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Get a second 410HE in 8&#937; to stack on your first. That way you can use either for most gigs and both for outdoor use.

8. Thanks for your comments and opinions, folks. Either choice is a "happy" one for me. I get to play -- loud!! lol

<><Peace