1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A wonderful mod for the consummate beer drinker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Jun 19, 2014.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you are like me, you love drinking some tasty brews at practice. And if you know tasty brews, quite a few come in bottles that aren't twist-offs.
    Since I usually have my amp with me at a jam, here's what I decided to do, so I'd never be without an opener...

1) Get a classy bottle opener
    photo 3.JPG

2) Mount it to my head case

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Now, all I need is beers!

RS, knumbskull, High Camp and 2 others like this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That's pretty cool.

I think that a toilet paper dispenser on a case handle would be a nice feature to have. For now, mine goes inside an ATA case.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    rtav, huckleberry1 and NWB like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Sorry, I thought you said constipated beer drinker. Never mind.

rojo412 likes this.
  4. leroy diamond

leroy diamond Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    yep . a friend of mine once paid $200 extra on a ride on lawnmower 'cause it had a beerholder on it

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    When you've got a bear that needs holding, that bearholder is definitely worth the asking price.

Remyd, Schwarzebasser and Gluvhand like this.
  6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I sriusly these wunna need. :hiccup:.

Seriously though, that's pretty neat. I like.

7. Schwarzebasser

Schwarzebasser

May 14, 2014
    I went for the deerholder on my riding mower

8. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I think you need a cup holder next to that.

I always say the first rule of playing bass is, Never Put Your Beer on Top of Your Cab!!!

It will eventually vibrate right off and make a mess all over the stage and make your cables all sticky and dirty.

A nice dedicated secure cup holder on your amp would solve this age old dilemma.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I almost put one of those openers on the back of the headstock on a Squier jazz I used to have.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

The cupholder goes on the mic stand, within arms reach. The opener you only need to get to every 3 songs or so. ;)

11. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All good points. I think the cup holder on top of the amp will cause a rattle from the glass. When you play those low notes, the bottle is likely to just shake and rattle. Not my favorite tone.

After a gig once, the bottle of beer was on top of my amp and got bumped into… The beer spilled, but the top of the SKB case was enough to hold it in place without causing any damage to anything. If there is a reason for a good, plastic case, that is it right there!

What I do need to engineer now is a catch or a bib for the beer that comes out of the top of the bottle, then drips down the side of the amp on the cab.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Same little "cup" that catches the bottle caps. Use some black or clear silicone caulk to seal the seam between cup and case.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    After the gig when all the gear is buttoned up in the case, it's no harm to turn it over to empty out the caps/old beer. Likely gets turned upsidedown and sideways loading and unloading anyway.

14. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Some may know this crazy SOB in a stoner metal band who would drink a bottle of green NyQuil during every set. He'd duct tape that thing right to the side of his Sunn concert bass / 2x15 /2x15 rig with a straw hanging out. He'd lean back there mid-song and take a nice long pull every so often till it was all gone. Then towards the end of the set he'd puke (green again) into a garbage can strategically placed nearby by himself before the set. I kid you not.

walterw likes this.
  15. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    You can buy those old car cup/can-holders. The ones that hook over the door. When you set up your cabinet, hook the can holder over the handle. Your beer will not go anywhere.

Additionally, you can use your bass stand and put the beer holder into the top hook part (where the neck of the bass goes) and put the beer in there if you want a movable beer holder or your cabinet doesn't have convenient handles.

16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

Attached Files:

Tagruvto likes this.
  17. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I thought that was called the driver.

"Comparison is the thief of joy."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

kcole4001 likes this.
  18. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    Thoughts rush to mind of infomercials with a fast-talking dude:
    "Are YOU tired of dirty, sticky leads at gigs? Then YOU need the beer-o-hold2000 for enhanced retention of your beverage in it's original vessel" etc.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    My band has a strict no alcohol policy at rehearsal and no alcohol on stage at gigs. Our lead singer is a recovering alcoholic and we had a few problems with him when he was drinking. Even though I enjoy having a few beers when we play, I instituted the policy to show support for the lead singer and make sure we stay focused on working on the material. A few of us will have a couple of beers at a gig before we go on stage but there is never alcohol on stage.

heynorm and keyofnight like this.
  20. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Awesome show of solidarity.

Kmonk likes this.