1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A word on GFS bodies

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Drew617, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Drew617

Drew617

Mar 9, 2014
    Watertown, MA
    Hi all,

I ordered a GFS body for a parts build, thought it might be helpful to share my impression. I did a bit of research here before pulling the trigger on this one, a precision body in Ivory. Add mine to the "mixed" experiences here.

I found a bunch of flaws right away, but decided not to return it and use it for my build - I set today aside to complete it and the GFS body wasn't egregiously bad. It does have some real problems, though. Given the cost of Warmoth bodies, etc., I don't feel ripped off for about $50 - you get what you pay for.

The body had some finish flaws, dark spots, and ugly radiusing in several places. Also the neck holes were pre-drilled but not to Fender dimensions; had to be filled and re-drilled.

Ultimately I made it work but wish I'd spent a bit more on something else. Next time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    Thanks for the heads up. I have had mixed results with cheap bodies, but usually I regret it.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    That is why I only buy unfinished bodies from GFS. I still ended up with some weird spots because the wood is like a sponge and I wasn't prepared for that... But overall good experience with my build. Having to widen the neck pocket a bit was the only major problem.