1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AARP Bass Players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phillybass101, Apr 2, 2013.

1. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Pretty soon most if not all of my favorite monster bass players will qualify for AARP. LMAO!!!!! I hope they are putting something aside for a rainy day!!!

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    New club!!!! My brother would be eligible!

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    HEY!!! I resemble that remark! :crying:

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. slobake

slobake resident ... something

10% off at Marshalls on Wednesdays. Senior menu at Denny's.
    Sign me up. I got my first letter from AARP sometime in my late 50's, my wife who is a couple of months older than me got a lot of heckling mileage out of that letter. Then one day I found a letter from AARP addressed to her in the recycle bin. Of course I didn't tease her about trying to hide it. :rollno: Oh sure, of course I didn't. :p:p:p

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Wait'll you start getting junk mail from cemeteries and funeral homes!:p

7. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Your title threw me off. I thought this was a thread for AARP employees. Currently I'm doing tech support for AARP. LOL.

8. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Oh yeah, well get off my lawn! :p

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    This is too funny. I'm 57 and have been qualified for several years. I still feel like a kid. Still gigging, still buying new equipment. teaching and all that. Maybe we should start a new club :)

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm 58, been getting the letters for a few years now.;)

11. 60 and a AMAC member, much better than the AARP clowns.
    Great thing is, I am playing out now more than ever.

12. fdorn

fdorn Over the hill bassist

Jan 12, 2011
    Green Bay, WI
    +1

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I joined the day I was eligible. Saved $15 on a hotel room that very weekend. Take full advantage, friends.

14. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Proud member! :)

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I just got my application in the mail the other day man my birthday is coming up next week I guess it's that time.

16. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    I turned 50 in NOv and already started receiving AARP mailings, which I don't mind. What I hate though is I am starting to receive mailings form the "Scooter store"

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I've been an AARP member for the last 15 years. Nobody should make light of us old guys because you will be there sooner than you think.

18. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I'll be 65 in August and I'm still gigging with two bands. I'm still buying more gear when I should know better, only now it's on my bucket list. If you start a club, count me in.

19. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Proud to say I have lived to 58 and still shaking and baking. Playing more, have more gear AND fishing more than ever than when I was younger. Life is good. Like phillybass101 and hsech mentioned above, if there is a club for the "over 50" bunch, count me in too.

AARP has been after me for several years now. I haven't really seen the advantage as of yet to joining them. No offense to those who are members of AARP.

20. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    This is great. I'm too immature and not responsible enought to start a club LOL!!!!! If someone else wants to I'm down for joining. In the past three years or so I have spent close to 6k on new equipment and still have to get one more piece (cab) before I settle down. I have gigs coming up on the 11th and 16th of May playing everything from old doo wop to modern slap songs. having a ball as we take frequent breaks, and no one is trying to outplay each other or even cares to. Giving a slap bass clinic in June. Music Life is good.