1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Remix Boxed Set

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OldDog52, Aug 8, 2019.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Shop the The Beatles Official Store

This is the first time Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos. All the new Abbey Road releases feature the new stereo album mix, sourced directly from the original eight-track session tapes.

2. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Either I should have put this in Miscellaneous, or everyone is just burned out on Beatles remixes & remasters.

Personally I can’t wait for this.

nixdad likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m sure I’ll buy it. Probably on vinyl just because Beatles. So LP y’know?

But I’ve got the original release memorized. Be interesting to see if I like the remix more. I wasn’t particularly wild about the earlier ones. Especially Sgt. Pepper’s.

Be interesting to see what it hits the streets for price wise.

nixdad and JimK like this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the single-CD version in my Want List...
    :)

Anyone buy the recent $800 Woodstock 38-disc set, yet?

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

$800 will by me a decent bass. So…not bloody likely AFAIC! :laugh:

JimK likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    $300...I woulda done it.
    ;)

7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can’t wait!

8. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, CA
    Wondering what y'all think now that it's out? I couldn't find another recent post on this with the search, sorry if I missed it.

Man, I was excited for this, but to me Giles Martin and his gang somehow actually managed to suck the life out of Abbey Road. It's hard to listen the whole way though. Yeah, the bass is loud now, but it's lost that great sound. I really don't get what he was going for. It just doesn't make sense why you would treat a recording from 1969 like this.

Apple Corps made a bad call blessing Giles as the anointed steward for Beatles material. I didn't care for his take on Sgt Pepper or the White Album either, but his Abbey Road is just so sad to me. Hope he won't be touching anything else, but the trend $eems to indicate otherwise.

I'm not a purest. I really liked the 2008 remasters a lot and Love and the Rock Band stuff and people's homemade mashups and remixes. Have at it. Just... why did he take a great opportunity and do... this?

End of rant. I'm sure others will disagree.

Hope folks who got the deluxe version with the book enjoyed it--I would love to see that!

JimK likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I bought the single disc. I didn't do a side by side with my old disc, but it sounds great. It also reminded me of what a great piece of work it was, the epitome of what the long player album format was for. Rock as art from first cut to last.

JimK likes this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You guys are no help...
    :)

11. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    No it is not the first time Abbey Road has been remixed. I have a homemade version that I got four years ago and it sounds so outstanding I did not bother to buy the official release. I have the SP and WA and I love both of them. I only get it for the surround mix, I do not care about the rest of the stuff. I hope they do Revolver and Rubber Soul soon. I have both of them in homemade 5.1 but both suck.

12. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I don’t know what “homemade” means but if it wasn’t remixed from the studio multitracks it’s not a proper remix (IMHO).

I love the Sgt Pepper remix. Hate the White Album remix. On the fence about getting Abbey Road. Other than centering some of the vocals like Here Comes The Sun it’s hard to imagine how it could be improved.

13. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    There is software available that allows you to make a 5.1 surround mix out of a stereo source. No it is not a "proper remix" but I don't care, it sounds dynamite. I have about 150 5.1 albums and so I know good from bad. It is exceptional.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021