ABC's(80's Band) Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Halftooth, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Does anyone know the name of the bass player in the band ABC? I was just listening to some 80's jams this weekend and came across some ABC tracks that blew me away. That guy can play, and on a fretless too! Anyway, I'd like to know more about this guy because he can flat out play. Is he in any other bands?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mark Lickley. I love his playing on the Lexicon Of Love stuff. Don't know about anything else he did.
  3. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Thanks for the info. After conducting a bit of a search, I found out that the band hired two members for the "How to be a Zillionaire" album purley for visual effects. The two members could not play at all, and one of them was impersonating the bass player, Mark Lickley who did all the playing on that album.

At any rate, Mark Lickley seems to be a very underated bass player. I really haven't heard much about him, but he seems every bit as talented as Mark King.
  4. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Funny. I've been listening Lexicon of love a lot lately. I almost posted a thread about it!

The beginning of 'Show me' is just phenomenal, sliding harmonics on fretless, etc. This is one of the best albums of 80's, at least bass-wise.
    Greener likes this.
  5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've been listening to some songs off that album as well, and it's absolutley some of the best "80's" playing that I have heard as well.
  6. bbass408

Mar 15, 2012
    Lest we not forget "Date Stamp" and "4 Ever 2 Gether..."

When I was learning bass in the early 80's I was just getting into Jaco (a referenced Lickey influence) while playing "The Number of the Beast" in my metal band (Sheehan is another referenced influence) when my bass teacher told me to buy and listen to Lexicon of Love. It's been top 5 ever since and what I reach for first when I want to hear great bass lines with just the right amount of slap.

Anyway, it seems Mark Lickley now has band called "Rehab" where he's the bass player and vocalist:
    REHAB - Meet The Band - Mark Lickley
    It's different from ABC and he doesn't mention ABC in his bio, just "well known on the Sheffield music scene..." which he was indeed.
  7. fingers25

Aug 21, 2016
    Mark Lickley did play some of the tracks on the album, but so did a excellent session musician called Brad Lang one of whose major strengths was / is fretless bass.

Checking Wikipedia gives credits for Mark Lickley for the following tracks,
    "Tears Are Not Enough", "Poison Arrow" and "The Look of Love". The rest sound like Brad Lang's playing...he also worked on some of the follow up albums including "How to Be a ... Zillionaire!" and "Alphabet City".
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...there's a nice ABC '80s live show on Concert Vault (Wolfgang's Concert Vault) for members.
    Great sound & mix; bass is very prominent, too.

ABC concert
  9. alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Oh man! I need to go back and listen to "Lexicon of Love." Its been too long. But I may be one of the few who prefers "Beauty Stab." Andy Newmark and Alan Spenner are an amazing rhythm section and Spenner's P tone is killer!