ABG - one trick ponies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I'm thinking about a Turner Renaissance or Rob Allen ABG. Everyone talks about the "upright tone" they get, but what else do they do? I read a few past posts and not much is said about the variety of sounds you can get. So what's your opinion on variety of sounds these basses possess. Oh, Carvin AC-50 and Godin whatever-whatever users chime in too.

Stay Low,

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but from what I've played, they don't do much else than the acoustic-y thing, and that seems to me kinda the point. That's what they're mainly designed for, and that's pretty much what most people would buy them for. Asking about whether they can do other stuff is a little like asking if a Corvette can haul your kid's soccer team around, you know what I mean? It *maybe* could, with a lot of effort, but that's not what you'd buy a Corvette for!

I don't mean to knock those instruments in the least. I'd love to have one myself. But variety of sound isn't really the name of the game with those types of instruments IMO and IME. Good sound--of a certain definite type--is. But you sure wouldn't buy one to get, say, a Marcus Miller type of sound.
  3. I heard Dave Swift (ex-Inspiral Carpets, now Jools Holland's Big Band) playing a Rick Turner Ren during the summer and I have to say I was mighty impressed. He got a really sweet upright-ish sound out of it, but also managed a fairly "straightforward" bass sound too. OK so it's never gonna sound like a P-Bass or Jazz, but depending on how you approach it I think you could get a load of different tones out of these machines. Dave certainly did.

Steve Lawson had one of these for a while and did a piece called "Conversations with my dad" (or something!) using it. Perhaps you should ask his opinion on its versatility.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Basses like the Turner, Allen and Godin are a lot different than what I usually call Acoustic Bass Guitars. They are really semi-hollow basses with piezo (rather than magnetic) pickups.

I own a Godin and it's quite versatile, you can do traditional EBG things with it just by dialing in the midrange EQ.
  5. BoogieBytch

Jun 27, 2005
    Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd add to your post.

Dave actually wasn't part of Inspiral Carpets - common mistake :) His more recently playing a Rob Allen though, personally my fave outta the two.

The Rick Turner I have found to be quite woody, and makes sounds no other bass I've tried does.

Love Alex