1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

abm500 vs db680 & XTI ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Feb 21, 2008.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Can anyone compare the sound of an Ashdown ABM500 head to the aguilar DB680 with a power amp such as a Crown XTI-2000? Im looking for a new toy and the DB680 looks like the only interesting preamp that I havn't owned. I have used one once in a store running through the big tube power amp and an aguilar 4x10 cab. I really don't like the big mid scoop of the aguilar DB cabs. I may be looking for something with a clearer top end than the Ashdown. I use a Bergantino NV610 as my main cab and already own a few crown XTI power amps. How do these two compare tone wise?

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hello.......McFly?

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Marco!

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know if you're confusing the Aguilar DB series with the GS series, but the DBs are the extreme opposite of mid scooped. They have the most accentuated mids I've ever heard in a cab.

I'm subscribed to this thread. I'd like to see what people think about the Ashdown vs 680 + power amp.

Somebody chime in!!!

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I meant the GS cabs. C'mon guys what gives? Where is everybody. I did pleanty of searches and couldn't get the info that I wanted so compare them for me already!

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I guess that I'll just have to shell out the cash and buy it before I try it........like usual!

7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I went and bought a db680. It should be here next week or so.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh Boy!!:rolleyes:

9. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I guess its just you and me afroman! I'll post my results after some use next week.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll be waiting.

11. Lowfader

Lowfader

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    I bought a used Crown XTi 1000 to go with my Demeter HBP-1 & Berg HT112/EX112. The signal light on channel 1 was on all the time so it's back at the factory for warranty repair. Crown pays shipping both ways plus the repair. When i told the girl the reason it took me awhile to type my return authorization in online was because i had a broken wrist & hand. She told me if i had any more amps to go back that i should call her personally & she would do everything over the phone for me. That's good service. Has anyone tried using System Architect with this amp?

12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have. Once you get the software on your computer it's easy to use and makes this amp alot more versatile. My db680 should be here tomorow or monday.

13. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Dammit, I want a DB 680. Are they re-releasing that one or the DB 659?

14. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Alright, lets wrap up this thread. I got the DB680 and ran it into a Crown XTI-2000 amp into a pair of eden d210xlt cabs and then a Bergantino NV610.

The aguilar pre just sounds better than the ashdown. It is much warmer and "tubier" and way clearer. It was exactly the clarity I was looking for while still remaining warm. The ashdown is a bit dark sounding in comparison. The abm500 eq is easier to use on the fly but the aguilar can be dialed in with more precision.

That said, I prefered the low mids of the Ashdown. I couldn't quite get the low mids right on the DB680 but it owned the rest of the frequency spectrum. Through the edens the aguilar won hands down. Through the NV610 with no tweeter, things were more closely matched. They both had great breakup and sounded more vintage ampeg than anything out there. I can't believe people saying that the DB680 can't do overdrive. It's perfect.

BUT! I realized that my rack is getting too big and that the tonal differences of the two won't amount to that much at a real gig so......I just sold the DB680 and am sticking with the Ashdown. It actually hurts my hear alittle but I know that Im doing the right thing.

So, the aguilar DB680 is king. The Ashdown ABM500 head is about 80% as good. I stuck with the ashdown and will probably buy the DB680 two more times in the future. :smug: It feels like I just broke up with a really hot chick for no good reason!