Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About EBS IQ and EBS CHORUS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marcusmiller, Dec 1, 2003.

1. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    I am planning to buy EBS pedals.
    Are they all analog ?
    They sound much better than my BOSS GT-6B.i am gonna sell it. id rather have a few nice analog ones.
    What u think ?
    I am also a nylon string guitar player.
    Do u think they also would work well with my
    nylon string electro-classical ??
    Guitar effects or bass efeects are better for a nylon stringed instrument ???

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I owned a EBS BassIQ for a while. It is a very "clean" envelope (too clean for my tastes) so if you are looking for greasy funk filter tone look elsewhere. Not sure how it would sound with a guitar.

3. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    does EBS IQ have a setup like wah as well ?
    or more synth-like tone ?
    Can u compare it to BOSS BASS SYNTH ?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have an EBS Unichorus. It is an excellent pedal. I can't say whether or not it will work with guitar, but it sounds really nice with a bass.

5. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    QUOTE " It is a very "clean" envelope (too clean for my tastes) so if you are looking for greasy funk filter tone look elsewhere. Not sure how it would sound with a guitar."

What do u exactly mean by very clean ?
    Greasy means distorted ?
    i prefer a nice analog clean sound i guess...
    but i still wonder if the boos dyna wah is good
    is it digital ?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Boss Dyna Wah is digital, and basically an auto wah. The BassIQ is an envelope filter, is has up / down filters as well as an auto wah.

The EBS BassIQ is a very good pedal, but the sound is somewhat sterile. Not wet, like a Mutron.

All the pedals you mention here and in other threads have been discussed many times before in this forum. Searching will return many results.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I own both. May be bass effects are better in a way that you don't loose your low-end in the signal. A lot of guitar effects lack the lows and don't become quite popular due to this.

I think the BassIQ is great, especially in downfilter mode, really funky... I use it all the time if needed. If the attack is set well, you can also use it for guitar. ;)

Unichorus is also great, one of the best choruses on the market, although not everybody agrees. For comments, look the topic: ' the best chorus?' or something. It does the job for guitar very well too, and I can't imagine that it doesn't work for acoustic guitar either.

8. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    So the EBS IQ has also some kind of wah setting int ? (like Jim dunlop Cry baby )
    i can use it for my nylon guitar for phaser-like arpeggios + funky rhythms ???

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

Hiya MM - the EBS BassIQ actually does *not* have an autowah setting in the sense of a rhythmic, cycling sweep. Its three settings are down filter, up filter, and Hi-Q filter, which is simply a sharper, twangier version of the up filter.

That said, it's my favorite envelope pedal thus far, if only for the second knob, which controls how long the filter takes to open. I like a slower filter than most nonadjustable pedals seem to offer.

And DMW is right, it *is* a very clean effect - i.e. it's not going to have that bit of "filter-overdrive" apparent in "greasier" units. It's a filter sound that you would have to apply your own drive to (if you wanted it), whether with a little bit of fuzz or with a really growly bass (like a fretless with rounds). Actually, Analog filters give you that overdrive more often than digital units, unless you clip (overload) the input of the digital.

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Has anybody tried playing with the internal trim pot in their BassIQ? Just curious...

11. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Yeah, I've tweaked mine a bit, to brighten up the tone. It made a big difference in the clarity.

12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am now the happy owner of a EBS Multidrive pedal, and I wish I had the whole EBS pedal line as the Multidrive is so good !!!!

It is by far the best overdrive pedal I ever tried.
    I will most likely buy the Unichorus as well pretty soon.

13. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I use

all 6 pedals currently available from EBS

I play a nine string bass...

The ONLY reason I mention the nine string is to tell you that each and every one of the EBS pedals sound stellar in every possible position I could dream of playing on my bass...

i record little loops for fun with the pedals and echoplexes

I get great guitar and bass tones from the EBS line without changing a thing...

i never change the settings except from time to time i tweak the bass IQ sensitivity

and mess with the type setting on the chorus pedal

I don't think will go wrong with any of the EBS pedals in fact I would highly recommend buying them all!

;)

14. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Man... just buy them. You really don't get unsatisfied, they are used by a lot of pro's. And us. ;)