? about MIM J Bass pickups + Electronics (+ advice)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Upside Down, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Upside Down

Upside Down

Dec 29, 2007
    I really love the bass I have now, it's a Mexican Fender jazz bass. I've had it for about six years now, and I love the way it plays and feels, much better than any other MIM bass I've tried. It's also my first bass guitar, so there is some sentimental value there.

Anyway, here is what I want to do:

1. Invest in a better amp, I was thinking of getting an Ashdown ABM C115-500 EVO II Combo. I know it's a combo, but that's all I need at the moment.

2. Replace ****** stock bridge with a Leo Quan Badass II bridge.

3. Replace stock pickups with Seymour Duncan antiquity II's, neck and bridge.

Also, I was gonna put some chrome knobs on it because the originals have been long since missing, but that is purely asthetic.

Anyway, here is what I was wondering:

If I am replacing the pickups, should I be replacing the electronics too? Would it be pointless to get new pickups without new electronics?

Thanks for your help!
    -Ben

2. Upside Down

Upside Down

Dec 29, 2007
    Please help, someone?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

What are you trying to achieve by modding the bass ? Do you need a bigger amp ?
    This will dictate your choice.

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    You could do it a couple of ways . . .

Upgrade the volume & tone pots with better quality pots. I used (
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/middle_bass.htm) in my son's MIM Jazz.

Or, you could add active electronics - I have an Audere in one of my Jazzes and Bartolini system in the other. There are many other choices too (Sadowsky, Aguilar, etc). Search TB forums - LOTS of discussions. BTW - I'm CRAZY for my Audere! :hyper:

http://www.audereaudio.com/

5. Upside Down

Upside Down

Dec 29, 2007
    I'm interested in making my bass sound as good as it feels and plays. I have a Peavey Basic 112 amp right now, which sounds like poo no matter what pickups I have in it, so I was going to get a nice amp.

Basically, what I'm wondering is, would it be worth it to get new pickups without replacing the electronics that came with it? Would there still be a significant improvement if I put some seymour duncan antiquity IIs in without replacing the electronics? Do the stock electronics even need replacing, how do they compare to others, and how do electronics effect the sound?

6. dman_113

dman_113 Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Nov 4, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Get a nice amp man I have a MIM jazz and a nice amp and it makes all the difference.

7. +1mil You can't hear anything resembling decent tone using the amp you currently have.

I'd go for a BAII or Gotoh 201 bridge and some new strings after the amp upgrade. I've got a '05 MIM Jazz and the stock pups are great.:hyper:

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    My advice is to do nothing to the bass until you get a nice amp. See how it sounds then. You might just find your MIM Jazz bass sounds pretty darn nice with no modifications at all! :)

9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    FYI . I read that the pickups in a MIM Jazz are not the same size, one is sligthly bigger than the other, so if you want to change the pickups just be sure to get one that fit correclty.

10. Upside Down

Upside Down

Dec 29, 2007
    I'm going to get a better amp, I was thinking about an Ashdown ABM C115-500 EVO II Combo amp, I don't wanna talk about that too much though, becauase this is the wrong part of the forum for that.

I've played out of many nice amps, and I just don't like the way the pickups sound. I was thinking about getting these after I get a new amp:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/duncan-antiquity2-jazz.htm

But, would they sound much better, and would they fit?

Thanks!

11. handjyve

handjyve

Nov 30, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm pretty sure that any post 2001 MIM Jazz has a larger bridge P/U just like the MIA basses always did. This is the way replacement sets are sold usually. If you have a pre 2001 Jazz then you'de have to specify two neck P/U's or do some body mods.
    As far as P/U selection you should check out the sticky from Smash in this forum. I went with Dimarzio J's thanks to Smash.
    Good luck!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021