Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove/Millennia Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWBass, Jul 1, 2005.

1. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Just thought I'd let you guys know that I finally decided upon the gear I am getting. By next friday I will be the proud owner of a pair of Accugroove Whappo Juniors and a Millenia STT-1 "origin". I will be running the origin through a QSC PLX 3402 giving both cabinets 1100 watts at 4 ohms unbridged. I figured now I will have the most monsterous rig around. I will never have a problem with headroom, projection, and clarity again. I know its crazy, but I like crazy...

I just wanted to thank all of the TBers who posted in my other threads for helping decide upon this gear. I will update with pictures and a review once the cabs get here and I can put them through there paces...

Special thanks to Tom and Jake, thanks for the advice.

Now I just have to deal with an agonizing wait..

Later on...

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Nice! What kind of bass?...

~S~

3. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Fodera Monarch VW Classic 4 string, Buckeye Burl over Mahogany...that's my baby...

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Should be sweet! Have you thought about any other pwr amps, Demeter/Crown/Crest ???.

~S~

PS: A Crown Reference would be VERY nice...

5. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    I thought about the Crest CA9 which I heard was great, but It would have made my rack weigh 120 pounds, which is a little too much for my liking.

I also considered the Stewart World 2.1 which is as light as my PLX, but with that amp I would be getting 1050 watts per cab in bridged mode, and with my PLX they are getting 1100 watts per cab unbridged. I figured I would prefer the clarity a lower THD...

plus I already owned it, so that aided my decision.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    We look forward to the pics and to hearing how you like it!

Enjoy, Tom.

7. Congratulations! I've had the opportunity to use a combination of the Origin/PLX3002/El Whappo on several live gigs so far, and in a variety of situations. The true sound of your Fodera will shine through exactly as it should! Also the PLX will work just fine for you and makes for a light, easily transportable preamp/poweramp package.

Take note that the Origin's lack of a mic-level DI output (it's line level) might pose a problem in some situations. I haven't found this to be a problem, but it's something that you should be aware of.

8. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Hey Oddio,

Can you explain a little more about this DI situation. I didn't even think to check that. Will the DI on the "origin" still work fine. My whole reason for getting the Millenia was so that I could have an absolutely clean signal. I don't want to use the unit if the DI will not work in a live setting. I do not want to have a separate DI. Will they just have to leave the volume level lower on the mixer...

Please Respond, I'm really curious

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Don't know if this will help, but, here's a link to their site: www.mil-media.com

~S~

10. Wow, that's a $7000 rig. What are you going to do with it?

11. I would be glad to... Most sound folk (running the PA) are equally equipped to deal with either line or microphone-level connections to the main board. Occasionally you'll find some who are not and expect strictly microphone-level connections, which are typical of a DI. Usually it's just a case of flipping a switch on the board, but it seems that some sound folks are just not prepared for this.

Worst case you'll have to carry a Countryman or similar DI around for the odd situation where you run into this kind of a problem. In a pinch my Wal basses all have DI as well as standard outs, although I have yet to need them. It's just a case of being prepared.

PS - just to whet your appetite:

[​IMG]

12. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Thanks man, as if the agitation wasn't enough already...
    1 more week...

Yeah, I hear what your saying. I'll wait to see how often I run into the problem... maybe pick up an Aguilar db900 or something.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    With the kind of rig you're talking about, who needs PA support (well maybe if you're playing a really large stadium)?

:p

14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    You can always bring a TD-1 around with you also ;)

Honestly, you can always throw a cheap DI in your gig bag just in case. Most soundguys will have a DI for you anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

The cool thing about gigging with the TD-1 is that it's a killer pre and DI in a small package.

15. Mine hasn't arrived yet! With luck it will be here on Monday. Anyhow, a cheap DI will get you through, in the odd situation where this is an issue.

16. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Oddio - :confused: You bought more Millennia gear and you didn't call me first :crying:

17. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Joel,

I got your pm's and I am sorry that I also didn't purchase from you. It's just that I had a massive return going to bass central in florida and I needed to use that money to my advantage. Next time I'll check out your store first. Don't really know when that is gonna be, because I'm going to be in pretty good shape for a while. But I have been seriously contemplating getting a tenor 4 fodera in the future... Definetly not the near future though...

18. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hey MWBass - You did great with your purchase. You will love that rig! The guys at Bass Central are really good to deal with.

19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    That sounds like an amazing rig!! I have always wanted to hear a Fodera VW through an Accugroove rig, and I can only imagine how sweet it is going to sound with the Origin as the front end!

Looking forward to your impressions,

Jake

my website

20. Joel, you are absolutely FIRST on my list... but I was owed a rather large credit locally which covered it. I got a very good price, and when you consider duty+taxes+insurance+shipping to Canada I expect it would have been about the same. I'm sure we'll be talking in the near future... :)