Accugroove Tri 208 ???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jokerjkny, Oct 31, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Anyone here try one?

over in the "electric" lounge, Accu's are known for their HUGE booty shakin' hifi roar, so i was really interested in getting the lightweight 208 for my electric needs, but the gents from Luthier's Access said the 208's are more for upright guys.

soooo, anybody got the scoop??

(scroll down to see the Tri 208)

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Hmmm . . . . It features "2 - Critically damped catenary soft dome Textile tweeters with Ferrofluid cooled voice coil and High energy dual neodymium magnet."

I have two settings for my single-barrel critically-out-of-tune ergonomically-inefficient BluZonium-enhanced tweeter (with factory air-conditioned air from our fully air-conditioned factory): "Way down" and "off."

But it's all in the sound. Gotta practice . . .
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy, Joker!

I had the pleasure of playing the Tri 208 up at Low Down Sound when I went cab shopping last spring. I walked away from the store with an Epifani T-112 and T-110UL, but that is another story (which you are already familiar with! ;) ). Back to the Tri 208, it really is a fantastic sounding cab. However, it is not quite as efficient (98.1 spl) as the Epi's or the larger Accugroove Mini Whappo (both at about 100 spl), so I didn't think that it would work as well with my Walkabout head. Of course, now that I have an iAMP 800, I may have to rethink the Tri 208.

Tonally, I found it to be very accurate, but fairly laid back. Quite reminiscent of my VL-208's. I would love to A/B them sometime. By comparision, the Mini Whappo and the T-112/T-110UL combo sounded sharper, with a bit more frequency extension on both the low and high end(which is somewhat weird, since the Tri 208 is rated at 35Hz to 18kHz). I'm guessing that the efficiency thing was at work, here. I would think that two Tri 208's would sound great together, but that'd be a 2 ohm load (which your Clarus could handle, of course!).

I would agree that the Tri 208 would be a great upright cab, or a studio recording cab for electric/upright (which is what it was designed to be). For live use, however, I would suggest the Mini Whappo. That little cab is very impressive. Tonally and volume-wise, it was actually quite close to te T-112/T-110UL combo I have raved about. Less coloration, of course, and all in all slightly superior. However, at the time, the additional portability of the two Epi's made a big difference. I am still left with a severe case of Accugroove envy, though! :D

Then of course, there is the Whappo, Jr. I have been lusting after...

The Accugroove stuff is very well made, very uncolored, and quite flexible for both upright and double bass. I would strongly suggest that you check them out.

Later, Tom.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, that comment should make a few guys sit up.

but hey tom, glad to see ya on this side!

efficiency aside, IMHO, i dunno if many of these guys really need anything anymore louder than the lil' 208. and for most jazz gigs, i think it'd be ideal, which is where i'm picturing it to mostly be. rockabilly maybe, but i guess that's what the Mini Whappo and/or Acme's are for.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point. I was replying on the (apparently mistaken) presumption that you were asking how well it would work in an upright/electric doubling situation. But for strickly upright gigs, be they jazz, small band swing, or even big band with reasonable volumes, the Tri 208 would be great. It is quite small, portable, and would almost disappear on stage. Throw a Walter Woods on top, and you would have quite the mighty mini rig!

6. Yeah, but when you bought from Ralph Spoilsport's new used and used new amplifiers you got the 10 year fully non-tranferable warranty (offer not good in sector R).
  7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Because everyone has their own needs, we have separate attenuators for the mid-range & the tweeters. This gives you the flexibility to adjust the volume to the venue & your personal preference or to turn them completely off.

Keep in mind that theses are not compression horns that are found in 99% of the bass cabs out there. Most are harsh & brittle sounding. Ours are designed to add highs that are smooth & sweet so you can actually use them.

PS That long winded tweeter description you guys seem to like so much, is directly from the tweeter manufacturer, not from us.