AccuGroove users! Attenuator Settings??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Oct 22, 2004.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

I am curious how other AccuGroove users have been setting their attenuators on the rear of their cab. I've always had a lot of luck running them wide open (all the way clockwise), but recently I started pulling them back a little and got very cool results. Obviously, if you attenuate the mids and highs you get more of the volume from the woofer, which can create a dramatic change in resonance and tone. I think has a much more desirable effect for me than tweaking the EQ on the amp.

Does anyone else have any experience with different attenuator settings on their accugroove's??

2. ...they sound most natural run wide open.
  3. I always run wide open as recommended by Mark at Accugroove so that my bass can do the talking, however if it works for you great.

It would be interesting if you could give a full report on how the two settings effect your tone. What gear/bass are you using etc.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hi Matthew-

I would agree with you that setting the attenuators wide open is the best approach for most scenarios. I love the tone I get from running my cabs wide open, but the accugrooves are designed so that you can eq them any way you want to get the desired affect. I'll use the same cabs for playing rock, jazz, blues, reggae, hip-hop, acoustic, or whatever else. Unlike other cabs that have an eq curve "built in", the accugrooves sound is extremely versatile, if you're not afraid to experiment with the EQ. That being said, most of the time I run everything flat and it sounds killer!

Recently, just trying it out of curiosity, I got very cool results from attenuating the mids and highs. For example, on my el whappo, if I turn the treble to about 60% and the mids to about 75%, and boost the volume a little to compensate, the cab sounds like a very different animal. I guess it is because the bulk of the sound is coming out of the 15" woofer, but it sounds alot grittier, or more lo-fi or rumbly, or whatever you want to call it. It sounds like it's pumping out a lot more sub-bass, which of course isn't an "accurate" sound but I like that sound alot for certain applications.

Another example: I was looking for more bass frequencies from my 110 and 112 at low volumes. Often, I'll just boost the bass on my preamp, but that can sound too boomy. If I drop the attenuators to 50% or so, I get a super deep resonance at low volume, less like studio monitors, more like vintage B-15 or something.

For me, sometimes this works better than trying to accomplish by EQ'ing my amp. I'm guessing it is because the cab is still being given a full range signal, but just processing it differently. It creates an overall boost in the "heft" factor, not that the el whappo lacks anything in the heft department, but it is a very accurate and hi fi cabinet, as Mark says "audiophile on steroids". Thats the reason I love these cabs, they're super accurate, yet fat and juicy. So if I'm playing hip hop or Reggae, instead of rolling off the high's I'll drop the attenuators a bit, and get the perfect sound.

I'm always looking for more ways to make my gear as versatile as possible. This is just an alternative to using the preamp's EQ to achieve a more mellow sound.

It could be, due to the gear I use, perhaps other people won't really benefit from trying this. I use an Fbass BN6 and an acacia 5 through a demeter HBP-1 and a crest VS-650. That combination can sound a little crispy through any cab, and although the Accugrooves never fail to deliver, I find that sometimes I have to mellow out the tone either with the onboard tone control, or the demeter's EQ. I just started using the attentuators, and it has a very different yet very usable effect.

I hope that explains it better.

5. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Wide open on my Tri-112 powered by an Eden WT-800. Sounds excellent!
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm definitely a WFO kind of guy, too (at least with regard to Accugrooves). In fact, I often dial in bit more upper mids and highs. One thing I love about the Accgroove cabs is that you can boost the highs without adding hiss (and in fact, you can use some pretty drastic EQing, and still not throw the cab 'out of wack' - it still sounds killer!).
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    WFO. Mark has said that if the market didn't demand it, he wouldn't even bother to install the attenuators.
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've noticed that too. You can boost the highs without getting alot of hiss. It really helps keep the noise floor down, and is very helpful if you want to mike the cab for recording.

I suppose it is because my gear is pretty zingy sounding that I bother to attentuate the mids and highs sometimes. I'm glad that other people run them wide open, it means the cabs were well concieved and designed in the first place.

One thing I love about them is that the treble end of the spectrum is very present, but isn't rude or brittle or even colored sounding, just very natural. Usually, neutral sounding cabs can have a hard time cutting through, but the AccuGroove's never seem to have that problem, and they always sound balanced at any volume.

9. After running the tone controls on every bass I've ever owned WFO, I didn't even put tone controls on the bass I built.

-- Dan --