Acoustasonic Ultralight Amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Eric S, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Eric S

Eric S

Jul 19, 2005
    Paris, France
    Check out this gorgeous little head.

Wonder how it sounds with DB. I hope it's the start of a new line of heads. 500 Watts would be nice.

"Combined with the new Acoustasonic Ultralight Stereo Enclosure, and acoustic musicians can have the ultimate in portable amplification."

features include: 250 Watts into 2 Ohms; High- and Low- gain inputs; Professional XLR line output with Level control & Ground Lift; Headphone output; Tuner Output with Mute; DSP effects (reverb, delay, chorus, flange, Vibratone, tremolo, and combinations); Tube-emulated Overdrive; and a three-button footswitch for Channel selection, Normal FX, Drive FX on/off.
  2. Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Nice find! Yes, I wonder too. Why the heck can't a Fender-type company make a good, honest head in a truly light package (ie, modern digital amp)? The wood case is a nice touch too. The first thing I checked is that weight. The Fender site says it's 7.5 lbs. and also says the shipping weight is 48 lbs.! What's up with that? Which is the typo? Also there's a bunch of DSP effects circuitry and knobs on the front a lot of us wouldn't care too much about. Along with the wood, it seems like this would drive up the weight above 7.5 lbs.

It has a notch filter, but it's not clear if you can tune its frequency/Q. It also appears to have dual power amps ("stereo"). Maybe one could get by using a single load, but two speakers would be required to use it as intended.

It's pricey ($930 MSRP), but probably heavily discounted.

If anyone can check these out, I would be interested, too, whether these could be an alternative to our favorite featherweights -- AI/WW, etc.
  3. Lemon

May 9, 2005
    looks like that is made for guitar mostly..........
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    250 W into 2 Ohms probably translates into less than 100 into 8 Ohms.
  5. Yup... I'll stick with my new focus 2:)
  6. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit wary of the effects and the "string dynamics" knob. Doesn't sound like the unit was made with any thought toward double bass. But that's just my take on the situation.
  7. From an industrial design perspective, it looks very nice. While it isn't (edit - the specifications don't look) very good compared to Acoustic Image amps, it looks like a step in the right direction. I still think my next amp will be a Clarus SL.

<soapbox>It's about time the mainstream got wise to smaller equipment. It's silly that people have only been interested in reducing the mass of just iPods and other computer equipment, rather than taking the same approach to all products such as amplifiers and automobiles. </soapbox>