Acoustic 136 amp to head conversion

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Cacciapalle, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Fender Rumble 1x15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fender Rumble 2x10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hartke 210xl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ampeg svt 2x10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cacciapalle

Cacciapalle

Oct 16, 2018
    Hi all, new to the forum here. I've been lurking cab discussions trying to figure something out.
    So the story goes- I have a Peavey TNT combo, and I hate it lol. It's my main gigging amp, but I have an old all black fender rumble for home practice. I loooove the rumble, but it's only 25 watts- not giggable. The Peavey doesn't sound terrible, but not great either. A bit boomy, not much clarity to the highs. It's 85 pounds though, and I dread the thought of any upcoming gigs.
    A local shop has an Acoustic 136 combo for sale for only $175- a killer price. More importantly, I fell in love with the sound from it when I plugged in. Only problem is that it's almost as heavy as the peavey (although this has casters and the peavey doesn't). It's also really ugly lol- from 1975. Apparently the head can be pulled out pretty easily though? If so, I'd love to buy it, remove the head, and get a cab for it. I've been going nuts trying to decide though- I'm not sure what would best complement that head? Been looking at the Ampeg SVT 2x10, Fender Rumble (either 1x15 or 2x10, not sure lol), and Hartke's 210xl. That's what I've gotten it narrowed down to- anybody have any experience with any of these? I'm looking for whatever will be the most versatile, as well as complementing the natural sound of the acoustic amp. Sorry for being longwinded, my mind just wont stop spinning trying to make a decision! I'll probably find 3 more options I might like before I hit the hay.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey welcome to TalkBass!!!

My advice? Get the combo.

Pop the grill off.

Pop the speaker out.

Measure the interior dimensions.

Call US Speaker.

Give them those interior dimensions and ask them if there is a neo driver (speaker) that will work for that cab as well as the watt and ohm ratings of the head.

If they come back with an option, ask how much it weighs.

Then weigh your current speaker in the combo..... just the speaker so you can compare it to the neo speaker.

The neo driver should be sugnifigantly lighter.

Then you can have the tone you love with less weight.

3. Cacciapalle

Cacciapalle

Oct 16, 2018
    Oh that's a good idea, I'll definitely consider that- although I do like the idea of just getting a new cab for the aesthetics. This thing is worn and about as ugly as it gets haha. I saw it in a local music store for the past year and never considered trying it cuz it looked like a piece of junk, until the owner of the store told me more about it- I had never heard of acoustic and figured it was an acoustic guitar amp! It's also pretty bulky, so I need to make sure it will fit in my vehicle, a separate cab could solve that as well.