1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 136 .. What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy114, May 9, 2015.

1. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    I am thinking of selling my Acoustic 136 bass amp that i bought back in the mid 70's ... it has not been used much over the past 20 years so it's in very good shape and sounds fine. Speaker was upgraded to a JBL E140-8 in the early 80's. Hate to see it go as it's been with me forever but i want to get something smaller & lighter (getting older) ... and we're moving ... will try to sell it local b/c of the weight.

thoughts? $300 fair? thanks ...

acoustic-136.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With an E140 I think it's very fair.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    That's a beauty. The JBL certainly enhances it. Pretty much agree with my friend Jimmy, provided everything functions properly.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Used to have one, BTW. Did not have an E140, though. Had some Eminence 15". But that was my first step-up amp. Heavy little bugger but did the job.

Randy Ward and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'll be the bad guy and say it will be hard to find a customer that would appreciate that amp enough to get to $300 even though it looks really clean.
    They are just to heavy and are limited to 100ish watts.
    The old Acoustics are beautiful but heavy and low power.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Can't say as I agree, Jim. Id probably snag it if I had a spare $300 and lived nearby just for old time's sake.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  7. I would buy it at that if it is in really great shape, as represented. That is one of my favorite amps, along side the LabSeries models. Anyone beating you up on price is full of mud.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    last year we paid 425 for our clean 140 with the matching 215 cab and covers on LA craigslist

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    They are heavy, yes. Kinda big, yes. They sound great to me. I had two. Almost bought Bob Lee's last year. If I find one near me...Oh dear. Gas for a big fat old combo? That's like....no don't say it. Think it is bad enough! :smug: :smug: :roflmao:

11. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It will be interesting to see what it actually sells for.

12. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Sold today for $285 on Craigslist - so no commission. The E140 put the buyer over the top.

thanks all.

Arthur U. Poon and JimmyM like this.
  13. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    But never got to $300; every once in a while I get something right!

14. androo75

androo75

Oct 19, 2008
    I actually gig with one... and my name is Andy too!

about to do a full resto/clean on mine, had it ten years+ every sound guy mics it over DI’ing and loves how easy it is to blend into a mix.

Might get a second one... I don’t know what it is but she really feels like a nice transparent amp, my 60s Jazz with semi-flats sounds excellent - does get a little broken up @ louder volumes but it’s as close as I’ll get to TSRTS JPJ live tone.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I always wondered what the speaker was that showed the contrasting ring through the grillecloth. Now I know.

I wanted that 136 very badly in 1975, I ended up with the Ampeg equivalent.

16. I had one that I gigged with up in NY. It sounded great, but I usually wished for more power.

Nostalgia is good, but newer stuff sounds better and is more functional to me. Except maybe my GK 400RB. Love that amp.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Back then Ampeg made really good SS amps but I don't think they were quite as strong on the SS game as Acoustic was. Fortunately for me, they didn't have to be :D

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Small world! An Acoustic 136 was my first Jam Session/Gigging amp too!

@Andy114 , It looks to be in fantastic shape, and it's been upgraded with a JBL E140. I daresay you're selling it for an incredibly low price.

JimmyM likes this.