1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 301 speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mini455, Sep 20, 2008.

1. mini455

mini455

Apr 1, 2008
    Hi, looking to replace the cerwin vega 18 speaker in the 301 bottom , cant find the original 188 or 189 speaker so thinking about a peavey black widow, anyone with any input on the specs of this vega speaker or a suitable replacement would be helpful. THANX:crying::meh::bassist:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    PM Vetchking, I'm sure he'll have some suggestions.

3. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    The CV was 3.2 ohms. If you can get the original, even if it is blown Orange County Speaker can recone it back to spec for about $125.

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    A definate YES to bottomend!'s suggestion - have the original reconed. Not sure where you are, but if you're on the east coast, you might think about The Speaker Doctor in Charlotte. They've done 3 CV's for me over the years, among other brands too, and do good work. They just did a CV from my 301 cabinet a few months ago. Believe it or not, they got bum parts from CV TWICE, but of course no additional charge for the rebuilds. Now it's thumpin'. :cool:

5. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    First choice is a recone with original parts.

This is assuming you want the original sound. Other speakers will change it.

If you were at 8 ohms - it is a chance to get to 4 if you want.

I did find that some old Guass speakers had a similar tone. JBL has an 18 that would give you a more modern sound - but at a price.