Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XxBlackOrchidxX, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....I expect bassmonkeee to arrive at any moment....

;)

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No one as far as I can find.... There was a rumor that Dean might produce one, but I haven't heard anything new for a long time on it..

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have one, from Jon Shuker in England:

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

But he doesn't make them any more. His former partner may, but I have no idea how to get in touch with him--the only e-mail I ever had gets no answers.

There are probably a few folks who will make them if you have the money. For instance, I bet Harvey Leach would--he's reputed to be great, but he ain't cheap.

www.leachguitars.com

I dunno who made bassmonkeee's 6, but the man himself will probably drop by soon. ;)

4. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    can it be heared well when being played with an acoustic guitar ? |m mainly getting this for jamming for softer stuff with my lead guitarist with his acousitc, and for playing on the street corner with the tip-jar....case open, and for a project |de like to do | would need something with an acoustic sound..and | try to play 4 stringers...but | often find myself thinking "What is this device that is alien to me ?" :D

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO no ABG can really be heard ideally when played totally acoustically with a hard-playing guitarist. I think that's, unfortunately, an unrealistic expectation. But in a living room situation I'm fine, depending on how the other musician plays. Outdoors, probably not so OK, because the outdoors tends to suck sound. I don't think unamplified acoustic guitars even sound good outside. For a personal recording project, absolutely. I've recorded with mine and liked the results.

6. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Just a friendly bump, as I'm interested in this, too, and don't want to see this thread die.

7. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    Thanks for the bump, | was going to do it myself. but wasnt sure if anyone else cared about this topic.

8. Hey
    sorry to bring back this post, but I'm interested in getting a 6 string acoustic and if anyone wants to sell :D Just PM me. Also any other information about who makes them etc. is always wanted.
    Thanks
    Troy

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I did a lot of research before I bought mine, and I found scarcely anybody who did one as a regular thing--Shuker and Leach were the only two. If you have major money, I'm sure you'll find someone who'll give it a whack--aren't there some good acoustic guitar makers in Oz?

10. Hi
    Ok, I'm on the leach sight. Which would you recommend archtop or flat top 6? Also how much do they cost? I don't have any major money really. I can go to round $1000 US and thats kind of high.
    Thanks
    Troy

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Mark Eshenbaugh will be starting one fairly soon as a custom order for a customer. As of yet, there aren't any plans to make it a regular part of the line, but if things turn out well (and I'm sure they will), I'd like to try one out myself. I just talked to Mark about the project this weekend, and prior to that, I was not aware of ANYONE who made such a beast! :D It should be interesting to see how things turn out.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The prices are on the site. They're *way* more than $1,000 US. The archtop starts at $10,000 for a 4 string, IIRC. The flattop is less but still way more than your budget will allow for.

I hate to be a downer, but I don't think you will find a single 6 string ABG for $1,000. (Unless bassmonkeee wants to sell you his LOL.) They're just not out there as far as I can see.

I still think you ought to look into Australian makers. If I were you, I would look harder at acoustic guitar makers than at solidbody bass makers (which is not to say that there aren't people who can do both well). Making acoustic instruments is really a special discipline, and you need somebody who understands it well. Good luck.

13. There are some "A" Athlete 6 string ABG's floating around. They were made by Fumi Nozwa and are structurally sound basses.

I had one and traded it for an aggie db750 and cash. The one I had has a maple body with a spruce top. The neck was rock solid and you could switch the type of strings without worry. They are great basses.

I traded it because I dont use the low B string.
    I am really looking for a 5 string strung E to C.

Here is a picture I still have of it.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey! Don't steal my thunder there, Mark. :hyper:

I am now the happy owner of the Athlete AX-6 that Mark mentions.

It took me about a year to finally get it set up the way I like it (different strings, etc), but now it's absolutely staying around for the long haul.

I had the action raised about 1/16" at the bridge, and replaced the 10+ year old Fishman piezo setup with a K&K Golden Trinity transducer/ mic set that I got from Bob (All Hail) Gollihur.

Here's a clip of how it recorded when I first got it back. I was still getting used to the low tension of the TI Acousticore strings, but you get the basic idea:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/6stringABGtest.mp3

Raising the action helped the acoustic volume, but there is a reason the bass viols are as big as they are--PHYSICS. ABGs simply don't have the size to project to compete with the higher frequencies of acoustic guitars, especially outdoors.

The transducer and mic setup greatly improve the response of the low B string through an amp, and I've got one of these nifty Phil Jones Briefcases on order from the aforementioned Bob. With this, I'll be able to get a pure transparent tone out of a tiny little box that I can easily use no matter how many guitar players I'm playing with. And, I'll even be able to run it off of battery power, or my car cig lighter, if I want to play in the middle of a field, or something. :bassist:

I'll post a full review when I get the Briefcase. Hopefully, it'll only be another couple of weeks, at most.

As for keeping the cost below $1000US, you're dreaming, I'm afraid. It'll never happen. I'd advise going for a Michael Kelly 5 string, or a Tacoma 5 string, but you're not going to find, or commission a 6 string ABG for that little money, and, quite frankly, you'd be wasting the time of any luthier you talked to about it for that little amount of cash.

15. Hey Bassmonkeee !!

I am so happy to hear the bass is doing well. Your mpg file sounds great. The bass is sounding full and rich. Many happy years with it.

I have not been able to replace it as of yet. I have been talking with Abe Wechter about building a custom 5 string ,E to C, using the Schertler pup system. What made you decide on the K & K system?

Please let us know how you like the PJB briefcase. I have been thinking of getting one to.

Again. Im glad the bass is making music. Nothing sader than instruments not being played.

Peace,
    Mark

16. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    Thank you monkey man.

now that | think about it, when using this the only accompiment will be a 6 string acoustic guitar. do you know if 5 strings are common, what what would be a good one ( EADGC )

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Lots of manufacturers make 5 string ABGs... Gibson, Epiphone, Dean, the aforementioned Michael Kelly... There are a lot more.. Most of the ones I've seen go B to G though.. I dont think I've ever seen one made E to C.. You could do that I'm sure, but you'd probably have to replace the nut.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Prog,

Phil Lesh from the GD has a David Maize 5 string tuned EADGC.... I can't remember what the electronics were, but the bass sounded great in concert.

I haven't heard much about David Maize recently, but if you can find one used... it is well worth it from what I have heard.

jairaj

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Also Tacoma and Washburn.