1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic amp EQ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocks, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I have an acoustic amp I use for at home practice, its a B100. I was wondering where on the tone controls would be considered flat EQ. I've tried the tone controls all the way off, and at the middle position, neither really sound like a flat EQ, any ideas?

2. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    anyone?

3. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    It is possible that through this amp/cab that what you hear as "flat eq" is not possible with ANY adjustment of dials/knobs/tone controls. The first part of this is the amplifier and tone controls itself, as being inadequate to achieve that which you think is "flat eq". The second part is that the speaker that your amp is running through may itself, not be able to transmit what your ear thinks of as "flat eq". It could be the amp, the speaker, or both, working together.

The kind of problem you are experiencing is generally symptomatic of these kind of lower-priced, budget-oriented amps. They are not bad amps at all. Merely that the focus and intent of their existence is generally to give the most wattage possible for the least amount of money possible. When that happens, something HAS to take second/third/fourth priority. Tone is usually that thing.

Find an amp whose sound you like. When you have done that, see if you can take your amp to wherever that amp is, and see how close you can get to emulating the tone of that liked sound, via your Acoustic. Note those settings on paper, and keep it for future reference. Again, what you are looking to achieve may simply not be possible with this amp/cab, but at least you'll know one way or another. And you've learned something, either way.

4. On all the Acoustic amp-gear except for the B-450 and B-600H, the Notch Filter cannot be disabled. This may be the problem you hear and won't be able to get to that 'flat' response that you want.

The Notch Filter on your B200 is constantly running and about the only thing you can do is find a frequency that you don't need to boom as much as others and adjust it there.

This works good for a freq that is getting boomy from the acoustics in a room or building or a hotter p'ups at that particular freq - but I like the ability to turn my Notch Filter ON/OFF as I desire and not have it in my face (and ears) all of the time.

There will always be some colorization to your sound with it ON I'm afraid. Try twisting that Notch pot until it's more transparent to you if you can.

5. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I agree, I do think it's the notch filter thats throwing me. All my other heads have graphic EQ's and I can enable/disable whatever I need. I've read through the manual on the acoustic and it does say that the tone controls are cut/boost +/- 10-15 db's So I would assume that centered would be flat.

The manual says the notch filter is an active -10 db notch at frequencies from 50 hz to 1 khz and is approximately 250 hz with the frequency knob at 12:00 - I have no idea what this means as far as trying to get it close to flat.

6. As far as the EQs working the freqs, that's all pretty much the same as any other amphead.

12 o'clock should be a big zero for effect on the EQs. I know it's where my B-450 and my B-600H are least controlling - but I can turn OFF my Notch Filter - so that's not a great comparison for you.

It's just that the Notcher takes some fiddling to find the least obnoxious/sweet spotted position for it in the mix. I played with my Notcher for a while and found it's least effective max'd out to the hard right of it's position.

I can still sense it's presence though so I just leave mine off unless I really REALLY need it - but I cringe when I use it.

Maybe some electro-geek can look at the unit and disable the Notch Filter somehow - I feel if that was done that this would be a formidable contender for great tone and freq responses.