1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Amps

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JAS, Mar 23, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I have one of the old Acoustic amplifiers and it has such a great sound. I only use it if I have to play a real loud gig on electric bass - it is almost worth lugging around for more stuff though.

I am wondering if Acoustic made anything smaller for bass? Like a 1x12 that is a little more portable. Also I thought I remember hearing a couple years ago that they were re-making some of these things.

Does anyone know anything about these?

2. appler

appler Guest

3. I used Acoustic amps from '76 to mid-80's. They were good at the time but there's plenty of solid-state amps since that are better. They didn't come close to the sound I've had from Nemesis & Eden gear.

4. mesmithnm

mesmithnm

Dec 10, 2005
    Layton, UT
    I used to have an Acoustic Bass combo - think it was something like Model 116, but I'm not sure. It had a very simple front-end - bass, treble, mid knobs, volume, and bright and boost switches (once again, all of this is from memory!). I used it from about 1980 till 1990 for DB gigs (an Underwood into a Fishman preamp into the amp). I remember that it sounded OK (not great, but OK) at lower volumes but if you pushed it the sound went downhill fast. I think the thing was only rated at 100W into 4ohms or something like that, so it didn't really have a lot of oomph for it's size (it had a single 15). Any of the newer designs - especially those that are designed with the double bass in mind - would be far superior in tone. However, I will say that the Acoustic never failed me on the gig and the cabinet was built like a tank - I sold it to a friend so he would have an amp to leave in his practice space and as far as I know, the thing is still going strong after 26 years.