1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by phomarx, Apr 29, 2009.

1. phomarx

phomarx

Apr 29, 2009
    Hi, I'd like to know what acoustic bass strings are of decent quality. Need new ones for recording.
    Genre is (alternative) rock.

Thankx

Cya

2. EccentRick

EccentRick

Mar 20, 2009
    Well, I just went through this with an Ibanez AEB10E, and the short answer is that I ended up with Thomastik Jazz Flats, mostly because they made the Ibanez sound more like an acoustic bass than a low acoustic guitar (especially unplugged). Good sound with fingers or picked. May be totally the wrong sound for you. May not work with your acoustic.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Elixir with nanoweb coating

G

4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    You almost certainly aren't going to want flats for an alt. rock sound, though there are no rules.
    Any of the phosphour bronze available are good quality. Personally I don't like the Nanowebs because the overtones suppressed by the coating really jumps out at me.

You can also use nickels - if you find the bronze too zingy this would be a good option.

Recording, though - I recommend you both mic the bass, and use the pickup. Makes for a much nicer recorded tone.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    This is all good advice. Regarding strings in particular, I've had good luck with Martin SP's for bronze wounds, and the best nickels for ABG's I've used are DR Sunbeams and DR Jonas Hellborg UFO's. Good luck.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I haven't tried every ABG string out there, but from the ones I've tried I prefer the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I put D'Addario Chromes (flats) on mine. Sounds great, and NO "zing" from moving my hand up and down the neck.

8. Unfortunately there's no examples of what you're looking for.

I've tried several brands of the bronze.. they all sound almost the same.

My personal preference on an ABG is flats with the hole plugged..

Tim