1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamForChrist, Sep 1, 2008.

1. never played one, but i want one. few questions:
    1-can you play one with a regular electric bass amp
    2-can you play slapbass just as easily on it
    3-can you recommend me one inbetween 400-700$?
    thanks so much every one, peace.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    1 thread per question

3. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    1. Yes, although I'd recommend a feedback stopper (those circular rubber things that go in the sound hole). You can use one made for an acoustic guitar.
    2. I very much doubt it, the strings are very different and the action is usually a lot higher. That may just be me and my acoustic bass though, but I suspect it may be true across the board.
    3. I don't know what US prices for acoustic basses are like but I can recommend the M. Gerarda acoustic basses, they are very nice.

4. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Look for Ibanez AEB's for that price, as for slap, it's not impossible, but it's damn hard.

5. 1. I tend to agree, you need a feedback stopper. Very useful!
    2. I do Slap Bass all the time on mine, its quite an experience because I slap with Flatwounds on an acoustic, Its special.
    3. I have an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric. Mine ran about $650 or so.

6. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    My experiences are specific to the Michael Kelly Dragonfly 4, but I've read similar comments from other acoustic owners about their experiences with whatever make/model they had ...

1 - yes, and if your experience is anything like mine, you'll be plugging it in more often than not when playing with others. Typically acoustic basses don't have a lot of volume, and you'll have trouble hearing yourself when someone else is playing their acoustic guitar at normal volume. Regardless, I found the acoustic bass still maintains a cool character I couldn't replicate with a traditional electric.

And as already mentioned, you need the cover for the soundhole to prevent feedback at "live" volumes. A must and something like a $12 investment.

2 - I tried and could ... but, musically speaking, would never do it if someone else was in the room. Doesn't sound good at all ... thud

3 - I bought my Korean made Michael Kelly Dragonfly 4 brand new 2 years ago for $500 I think ... had a Fishman preamp. Very nice ... action as low as any electric I played and no fret buzz. They seem to be priced a little over $600 now for some reason. It was great, but I recently sold it simply because I personally found there weren't many occasions where I'd choose it over an electric.

7. 1- IFFFF your bass is acoustic/electric you can, else, you can't.

2- you can slap, but sounds ugly in most basses. IMHO, flatwounds in ABGs sounds much better, but if you're gonna slap on it, stick with rounds (only thing, they do a lot of finger noise when changing positions, annoying!).

3- no idea of prices in US. Just try a few between your money limits and choose the one that fits you.

8. sorry i cant find my other thread haha i thought i didnt make it can some one send me the link?

9. hey you guys thanks for your honest feedback. something i wont get at guitar center haha. keep it comin if you got something to say about acoustic basses.

10. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    They are fun to plunk around on at home by yourself.
    I have a J. Reynolds that was a gift for doing some work.
    I think they cost about $200
    I compared it side-by-side to my Buddie's $2400 Martin acoustic..
    Totaly blew it away unplugged as far as volume & tone..
    ( I have DM Alchemy strings on it)
    I played an Applause fretless once that was pretty darn loud....

11. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just finished playing 6 different ABG's at GC. The best deal was the Dean Playmate for $199 Played a Victor Bailey that was better but 4 times the cost. Also liked the Laguna but also pricey. Liked the Dean better than the Ibanez or the Michael Kelly. Also had a Kelly for about 6 months and did not like it. The Dean was really nice acoustically but did not do a comparison of them through an amp. Have read that the Dean electronics are not that good. The Dean was the only one that I plugged into an amp and sounded fine. At the price I plan to pick one up.

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I've been looking for the "perfect" acoustic bass guitar for months. I'd almost given up, and nearly bought a used Palatino EUB. But ...

Today I picked up used, excellent condition, Tacoma Thunderchief with LR Baggs electronics for $600. Wow! I played all afternoon with my buddy who plays a D-35 (a loud guitar!) and had no trouble hearing myself, or being heard. It sounds EXCELLENT through my Ampeg BA112 combo amp, too. Nice and "thumpy". But feedback can be a problem, easily solved by blocking the sound hole (it ain't round, so I'll have to make something). It's strung with round wounds now, and I suppose I'll have to experiment a bit with strings. It might have to so with my playing style, but I didn't get much finger noise at all, even sliding up and down.

For the kind of music we play (acoustic blues, gospel, bluegrass, and American roots music including some folk and light rock) it is just what I'd hoped for.