1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Controll 220 / WOW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NotTylerHendley, Oct 16, 2013.

1. NotTylerHendley

NotTylerHendley Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I just scored a 1978 Acoustic Control 220 and I used it at my band's practice and WHOA!

This thing is LOUD
    I was only using it at about 1/2 the power (8 OHM cab) and I couldn't get it past 9 o'clock without drowning out the rest of the band.

I may have found my Grail!
    Anyone else have one of these? I'll post pics later

Keep it low
    -Flempton

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Don't have a 220, but do have two 370s, a 450 and a 140. Super vintage gear and sound from those old girls (or guys) that really put out - pun intended.

Enjoy your cool gear. :cool:

3. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    congrats on the 220. Nothing (for me anyways) comes close to the vintage ACC. I have a B220 from about 84-85 but it's still not the true ACC. I do have a '73 ACC 150 / 106 rig that I completely adore and also have a newer B200 combo that kicks butt.

Acoustic - The Mother of all Amps

4. NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    I will say that the new Acoustic amps that GC puts out are still pretty impressive to me. However, this is the first vintage piece of gear I've ever owned and I'm amazed at how things back then were, well, so much better!

Also, that sputter that comes when the amp powers down; does anyone actually know what that is?

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Those amps have enormous capacitors. I had a 370 that I left unplugged for about a month, and when I plugged a cabinet into it, it still made a small thump. I had forgot to discharge the capacitors by switching off the power and then continuing to play for a bit, which is what I usually do. For what its worth, my current (absurd) list of Acoustic Control and Acoustic USA equipment is an original 360/361, a 320/408 rig, a 118 combo, a 126 combo, a 400 power amp, a pair of 811/812 PA speakers, and a new 360m. So, apparently I'm a fanboy, except I really didn't like the 370 head I had for a while, nor did I particularly like the B320 head I had for a short time. I would like to sell off the 126 and 320/408, but inertia sets in and I don't get around to it. They are fine amplifiers, but I don't need nearly as much firepower as I have and it should get used instead of sitting around. Oh, well. Being lazy has it's disadvantages.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  6. I found my 470 at a music go round and bought it later that evening. It just hit the spot tone wise and booted the TC Electronics head I was using. So smooth, but still warm and growly, I absolutely love the thing. I rebuilt a footswitch for it for the channel, trem, verb, and distortion, and now the tones I can get out of it are pretty wild.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382024354.464171.

7. NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    As far as the famous ACC mid-growly sound goes, can you get it with pretty much any original ACC amp? And maybe even the new stuff?

8. New stuff? The Acoustic USA or G.C. Acoustic?

9. NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    Good point, I meant the GC Acoustic

10. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    The only thing the new stuff has in common w/the vintage is the decal. Not even the same company.

11. When I tried them (G.C. Acoustic) they sounded nice but not like the ACC's IMO.

12. NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    There's a USA Acoustic? I thought GC bought the company and makes everything in China?

13. http://www.acousticbassusa.com/ Different from the G.C. Acoustic and from what I understand has to pay Bain Capital royalties to use the brand name. George (forgot his last name) worked for a long time to try and bring the ACC days back for the boutique market.

14. Gaolee

George Grexa. I don't know about paying royalties to Bain Capital, but it wouldn't surprise me too much. George was after the Acoustic name before Guitar Center bought it, but Guitar Center and Bain Capital have a whole lot more money than he does. Anyway, the new one sounds very much like an original 360, but with more accuracy and flexibility. It can be warm and sweet just like a 360 from 1968, or it can be completely transparent.

15. NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    I may need to save my pennies and go for the 360/361

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    How old are you, son? :bag:

At least, you are learning the TRUTH! :bassist:

17. Gaolee

Yes, you do. :p

18. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Congrats! The 220 is a great workhorse with the right amount of grit. I have two of them. The 220 delivers full power in a 2 Ohm load, so you ain't heard nothing yet! ;) (In all honesty though, the volume pot taper is "aggressive", so don't assume the volume will keep rising at the same rate all the way up to "11".)

More info here:

19. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    here's my Wagner era B220 with my 106 cab. It's a beast for sure but still doesn't have the warmth, flowing, enveloping, hair on back of the neck raising sound as the '73 150 / 106 set-up I have.

Attached Files:

• B220.
      B220.jpg
      File size:
      127.7 KB
      Views:
  20. NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to read up!

And that B220 setup is looking CLEAN

I've been reading some mixed stuff on the new Acoustic USA stuff, saying it doesn't get the same type of sound like the older 360/361 setup did (when compared to the new)

What do you guys think?