Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image FOCUS 600 watt head announcement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, May 6, 2004.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Since there was a lot of interest on the Double Bass side of the board and a request for the news once Acoustic Image released it, I figured a duplicate post on the BG side was also a good idea. I think the 600w number will be attractive to guys who double on both as well as bass guitarists seeking to downsize their rigs.

I have a prototype Focus 1R this past week, and I'll be taking it to a classic rock band rehearsal tonight, so I'll have some more experience with it. Thusfar, its character is just like the Clarus series, but a helluvalot louder!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    words just cant express what emoticons can...

:cool: :hyper: :bassist:

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, so what's the ship date?

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  5. any updates?!?!?!

i'm investing in a new rig soon (eden WT550 head and 2 aggie 1x12 cabs). i look at the acoustic image stuff. but it didn't have the power i wanted. but this new head seems ideal! and what a size!

please, i want more info!

Tom

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    AI just updated their site 2 days ago.

http://www.acousticimg.com/index2.html

7. yes, seen that, it doesn't really provide any more info that whats already been included in this thread. i was hoping for some info on how bobs head handled the rock rehersal, and maby to hear from a couple of other people who've played the head

Tom

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I am told I should start seeing them around the first week of June.

I will be updating my site over the next couple days. However, just take a look at the existing Clarus line (see http://www.urbbob.com/accimg2.html) for a preview.

The Focus models will mirror them, they look exactly the same, work exactly the same as they all use the identical preamps and cases, and the specs are as above, 600w/4 ohms, 300w/8 ohms. Weight is less than 5lbs.

There were only two prototypes, so you're not going to get anything in terms of reviews from other players.

Essentially, the Focus are high-powered Clarus (Focii? Clarii). Their character is the same, just more volume. Very pure, uncolored, nice touch of warmth, they are not sterile.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    put my order in last week with Bobby to th'Gizzo.

i'll put up the ol' joker approved thesis review when i've got my week's worth of gigs/rehearsals into it.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maybe I missed something, but I thought that there was (also) going to be a more powerful version of the Clarus SL. Am I wrong? It would appear so (and would not be a first...). A 600w SL would be fantastic! As would a 2 ohm stable Focus... ;)

11. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    No version of the SL beyond the current 150w/8ohms, 250w/4ohms, 350w/2ohms unit.

As for a 2 ohm 600w Focus, sorry, 4 ohm minimum. I've already accused Rick of making a pact with the devil to make a 600w/4ohm head. Two ohms may even be beyond Satan's capabilities. ;)

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks, Bob. I had a chance to hear the SL a few weeks back, and for the size of a paperback book, and the weight of a tube of toothpaste, that little sucker is darn impressive!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sheesh,

that SL is pretty ridiculous. next thing you know it, Rick'll have a cell phone sized 150 watter! :D

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Put me up for one of those!! :help:

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Does this mean that the Clarus II can be updated to the power of a Focus by swapping the internals?

16. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I hope so... two days ago I emailed Acoustic Image with the same question.

No response yet.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

not to be parabolic, but wouldnt that be like asking to have the inline V4 engine in your Honda Civic swapped out for this year's newer V6?

or too look at it another way,

if you're gonna swap the internals of your amp, you're pretty much getting a whole new amp, sans the shell. so, the guys at AI might as well charge you the entire price for a new Focus head, and you might as well just buy the a whole new Focus in the first place!

if i'm not making sense, its only cause i need my morning coffee... :meh:

18. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Probably a good analogy Joker, but I figure that it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm guessing there is only a slim possibility that this may be possible or that AI would be willing to do it. The AI customer service has been top notch for me, answering all my email questions as well as spending time with me on the phone answering more questions regarding their sophisticated little gem of an amp. Makes me feel welcome to ask away since AI has been helpful, open and supportive with my correspondence in the past.

I've heard of other players sending in their older amps for upgrades. I know of two people who did this with their Eden amps, upgrading the power amp section only.

I wanted to contact AI with a few other questions regarding the new Focus line. The poweramp question was only the first question.

19. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    No problem, provided the V6 is also inline...

..sorry... :D